It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

melanieruth78 HB User
Exercise question- 45 minutes? Seriously?

So I'm getting back into the whole fitness scene after more than a few years off.

I'm starting at 255- my heaviest was 298 right before I delivered my son, two years ago. My target weight is 165. Anything lower than that and I lose my curves and don't like the way I look.

I just started a week ago, and I'm up to two miles. Walk 1/2 mile, run 1 mile, walk another 1/2 mile. I've been doing this every day, so far.

My question is, this only takes me about 20-25 minutes. Someone told me that unless I work out for 45 minutes or more, it's basically useless. Now, this is rather depressing, as it's a long drive to the gym, I've been going every day, and actually am feeling better about things.

Does anyone know what the deal with this statement is? Is it true?

Last edited by melanieruth78; 07-08-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Exercise question- 45 minutes? Seriously?

Any exercise is better than no exercise.

20-25 minutes a day, if you are breaking a sweat, should be enough to help you lose weight, get stronger, healthier, etc, as long as you continue to gradually increase your regime. Gradually, no more than a 10% increase per week.

If you are training to become a serious athlete, okay, then you need a lot more training.

You are, of course, stretching and cooling down carefully afterward?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

melanieruth78 HB User

Yes, I am taking the time to cool down and stretch afterwards. I'm still really sore, though. I would like to eventually get back into being a serious runner, but for right now, I just want to concentrate on losing this weight, which is why I'm just doing cardio and yoga.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You might want to consider switching up your regime some days. Just walking/running every day, especially as long as you are overweight, puts a huge strain on your leg muscles and joints.

People say that cardio is the only way to lose weight, but that's not entirely true. You can also break a sweat using the weight machines, and building muscle is a great way to lose fat, because building and maintaining muscle burns calories all by itself.

Your routine might be safer if you did the treadmill just, say, 3 days a week, and worked your upper body with weights 3 days a week, warming up and cooling down after.

Of course, if you are dieting and exercising at the same time, be sure and measure your progress with a tape measure around your waist as well as a scale, because your new muscles will weight about 5 pounds, maybe more, all by themselves!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

I'm impressed. It would take me twice as long to do 2 miles. You're probably getting the same benefit in 20 minutes that I would get in 45 minutes. Intensity matters as much as the amount of time I think. Plus going every day - it all adds up.

If you can afford the time, I would add strength training to your regimen. Or sub out one or two of your aerobic days.

Several years ago I lost 50 pounds, and I credit strength training for it. I almost never did more than 30 minutes of aerobic activity at a time. It took a very long time to really start losing, but after a few months the weight kept coming off even after I stopped dieting. Strength training speeds up your metabolism because muscle burns more calories than flab. So I was continuing to lose weight even when I stopped going to the gym.

I was going to the gym about 4 days a week for 1 to 1 1/2 hours each visit, combining aerobic, strength training and slow stretching most days. That was the best habit I ever had in my life. Unfortunately I let my plan get derailed after a death in the family and when I changed jobs. I kept the weight off for a few years, but then my sedentary lifestyle caught up with me, and I'm in terrible shape now.

I'm just starting again now. I've got some new challenges this time around but I'm commiting to keep with it.

Last edited by lucylucy; 07-09-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
(female)

melanieruth78 HB User

Hmm. I don't think I even know where I would begin with strength training- but I am more than willing to give it a go! Any suggestions?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

In order to avoid injury, the smartest thing to do is to shell out the money for a class or a couple of personal training sessions. I'd love to tell you about my regime, but typing is limited, and even if I could send you a video of someone doing the exercises, that's not the same as having someone correct your form. Personal training tends to cost about $50-$80 per hour where I live, maybe less in rural areas, and it should only take a couple sessions to work out a regime, then maybe go back once a month for corrections and new exercises.

Of course, if you know how to do any of the exercises correctly, you may as well start now.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
strength training

I would start with some simple exercises to build your muscles SLOWLY. You can find many examples in fitness magazines, websites and even on the Today show. A beginners YOGA class would be a great way to build strength too.

You don't even need to use weights to start. Lunges and squats are very popular for your legs (unless you have bad knees like I do). Bicep curls and modified pushups are a great place to start for your arms. Instead of regular push-ups, an easy way to start is by pushing up against a counter, or your stairs. Use the same form as the pushups you remember from school, but start from a higher, easier place.

Does your gym have weight machines? Most gyms throw in an hour or two of personal training, and they'll start you off with a reasonable program with a couple exercises each for your upper body, back and lower body. Or at least they should have people to show you how to use the equipment. Because of my age and weight, I always start with a lower amount of weight than the young trainers suggest. When I can do 3 sets of 12 repetitions at a low weight, then I'll add 5 or 10 more pounds the next day.

A warning about taking a class or using machines: Do NOT feel like you have to keep up with the instructor. You should build slowly. The 80's adage "no pain no gain" was wrong wrong wrong. You want to feel like you're working, but if it HURTS, then ease up.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
(female)

melanieruth78 HB User

Okay, I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
(female)

melanieruth78 HB User
Re: strength training

That's really great advice- thanks so much! A friend gave me "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women", and the book really makes sense from what I remember. I'm going to read it all the way through first, though.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I highly disagree with whoever said you need at least 45 minutes! Maybe if you get VERY used to your workout and need to up the time, but if you feel yourself working up a sweat, you are doing fine. I used to do about 30 minutes of exercise 5 times a week (combined with health eating) and got down to my goal weight doing that. I also didn't have a lot of extra time at this point in my life. I now work out longer because I've just gotten stronger and enjoy it, but I know I can do fine with less too. I just run a little more than you... I jog for 3 miles for about 30 minutes because I also stop and walk but I do that in the middle. I burn a lot of calories doing this! I think you should stick with what you are doing.... if it doesn't work for you, THEN up the time, but I really think it will work just fine! I also agree that some strength training moves are great additions to your routine. I do about half an hour of cardio and half an hour of weights/strength training and get the best results combining the two. I do my cardio first since that's the most challening for me (if I do it the other way around I get too worn out and can't run for long).

Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
(male)

david614 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
You might want to consider switching up your regime some days. Just walking/running every day, especially as long as you are overweight, puts a huge strain on your leg muscles and joints.

People say that cardio is the only way to lose weight, but that's not entirely true. You can also break a sweat using the weight machines, and building muscle is a great way to lose fat, because building and maintaining muscle burns calories all by itself.

Your routine might be safer if you did the treadmill just, say, 3 days a week, and worked your upper body with weights 3 days a week, warming up and cooling down after.

Of course, if you are dieting and exercising at the same time, be sure and measure your progress with a tape measure around your waist as well as a scale, because your new muscles will weight about 5 pounds, maybe more, all by themselves!
This is excellent advice. The three steps to weight loss: Diet, weight training, and cardio.

I recently read a "rule of thumb" that said weight maintenance requires 30 minutes, and weight loss requires an hour of exercise every day. Of course, this is a gross generalization. We all respond to diet and exercise differently.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
(male)

b063063 HB User

I work out for a little over an hour a day. alternating my strength training on mon, wed, and fri..with abs and cardio....tue, thur and sat....using sunday as my rest day... I have cut bad carbs and fatty foods... and in 2 months i have gone from 186 to 178 and am seeing visible results ...also went from 34 inch waist to 32 inches and am looking forward to getting down to 160lbs and 30 inch waist with 6 pack as a bonus....

Closed Thread