It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

leishaste HB User
My heart rate is in the danger zone when exercising

what happens when you pulse rate is in the danger zone when working out? I was exercising and my heart rate went all the way up to 215. The danger zone is 170 for my age. What does this mean? This is the first time I exercised in 3 years.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: My heart rate is in the danger zone when exercising

leishaste,

Really trained athletes can work out with heart rates like that. Us mere mortals need to be careful.

The purpose of exercise is to fool the body into thinking that it needs to be fitter than required for our daily activities. That is, if we have been desk jockeys or couch potatoes for a long time, our bodies get used to being fit enough for that activity level. If we want to be fitter, we have to work harder than we're used to. But since we are only fit enough to be desk jockeys or couch potatoes right at the moment, then we are capable of doing only a little bit more than our daily activities.

You said that you checked your heart rate while you were exercising. This is good. Do you have your own heart rate monitor or were you using one at a gym? It might be worth it to invest in one if you haven't already. Then, when you exercise, pay attention to the heart monitor, not to any arbitrary speed preset on the treadmill or exercise bike. The important thing is to exercise a little harder than your body is used to -- not to whatever someone else thinks you "ought" to be able to do. You're exercising your heart, not some generic one from from some standard list of averages.

It is also a good idea to get a physical checkup by your doctor to rule out health problems that would be causing your heart to over-react. There might be some underlying problem that you don't know about. This is why it is recommended that us couch potato folks get an exam before starting up an exercise program.

Congratulations on getting moving! And it's good that you are asking questions about your heart in the early stages of your program.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
(female)

leishaste HB User

Thank you for your response. I had a mini stroke 3 weeks ago. Before the stroke I had noticed my heart beat irregular every once in a while. Sometimes it stops for a second, then beats real fast. It only happens every once in a while. I never had any health problems until I was pregnant 3 years ago. I was put on bedrest and then had a c-section. Then last year I had surgery again because of cysts in my uterus. Therefore, I haven't exercised at all for 3 years. I gained 100 pounds in the past two years. Before I had my daughter I was very fit and exercised an hour 5 times a week. I have never been in the situation that I am having now, and it is scary. I just want to be like I used to be.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's good that you want to exercise, but since you have some existing health problems, you might want to get some guidance from a doctor first, or at least increase your activity level very slowly, start with just some gentle walking.

Don't lose that momentum, but make sure that what you are doing is safe.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
(female)

BusyNavyWife HB User

I agree with the others, make sure you have the full "go ahead" from your doctor based on your medical history.

Also, I wanted to share with you that I hadn't worked out in 6 years and when I did my heart rate was about the same as yours. (210) Instead of stopping, my trainer had me walk a lap or two. Once it got to a normal range I could move a bit faster. This happened for about 2 weeks until my heart finally stayed out of the red zone. But even now after 4 months of work outs, sometimes I hit the 180s... and I take the time to walk a lap before resuming.

I invested in a heart monitor (watch) and it's very useful because I'm not always using equiptment that can track my heart rate for me.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
(female)

leishaste HB User

Thank you for the advice. I didn't think about that. I will definitely give that a shot. I have to lose the weight for the sake of my daughter. My mother died of cancer when I was twelve, and I don't want to repeat the pattern. My health is a big concern for me, and I will not give up. What I did wrong was trying to work out like I did before I had my daughter. I was 150 pounds lighter and a lot more fit. Once again, thank you for the useful advice!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

If you're just starting again and you're very heavy, it won't take much to get your heart rate up very high. I'm only a month into it myself and I'm getting better already.

When it happens, you should slow down right away. My doctor once told me to never stop suddenly when my heart rate is high, because that's dangerous. Just slow down and cool down before stopping. I don't know if that was just for my heart issue, or everyone. So ask your doctor about that.

I like to use intervals. I start out slow, increase the level for a minute and then go back down to a lower

You should also learn several different ways to monitor your heart rate, because monitors aren't always reliable. There are two bikes next to each other in my gym, and one always shows a higher heart rate. If you're breathing hard but you can still carry on a conversation, then your heart rate is probably just where you need it to be.

I agree that you should definitely talk to your doctor before getting your heart rate up so high again. Gentle walking is probably still very important while you're waiting for an appointment,

Closed Thread