It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

Gia029 HB User
feels like shin splints

I started a walking program of 1/2 hour every other day however I'm on my second week When I was walking today it felt like I had shin splints. This makes it difficult for me to walk as far as I would like to. I recall having the same problem last year. It seems I only have this problem if I am walking outside as I don't get them if I walk on the treadmill. I would most prefer to walk outside during this beautiful time of year. Does anyone know what causes shin splints and how to get rid of them?

Last edited by Gia029; 09-10-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

Ankh HB User
Re: feels like shin splints

in order to confirm whether it is shin splints or not, you need to see a medical professional.

What type of pain do you feel, and where is exactly do you feel it?on the inner part of your tibia or the outer part? Also, what exercise do you normally do besides walking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
(female)

Gia029 HB User

That is the only excercise I do. It is a burning sensation throughout my shins.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I used to get shin splints when I first started jogging since I wasn't used to it. <removed> see if you think that sounds like what you have. I would suggest stretching your shin muscles out before and after your walking routine. I like to point my toes and flex to stretch out these muscles, and there are lots of other good ones. Most likely, you are getting this from the hard ground outside, which is tougher than a treadmill. Try stretching, walk a little bit less if you need to while the pain is there, and eventually your muscles should get used to it and it should stop. Also, make sure you have good shoes! If the pain doesn't go away, of course I would see a doctor about it. I've had some odd pain in my legs (not the shins though) that happened out of nowhere and have had to stop running temporarily, but running is tougher on your joints than walking anyway! Just take it easy and do lots of stretching. Some people also ice their muscles, but I haven't tried this. You can always look into it if you are interested. I also find that massaging my shins helps too, although it can be painful (as well as the stretching) when the shin splints get pretty bad!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-13-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread