It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
working out, no results...

I'm on a medication that has caused me to gain almost 50 pounds in the past five years. My doctors say it's not a big deal because I look relatively thin, but to me, it is a big deal. I was used to having a flat stomach for my whole life, and being in the "athletic" zone on the BMI, but now I have fat rolls on my stomach which look bad and are uncomfortable. I'm 5'11" and I went from about 135 lbs to 180 lbs in the past 5 years, and I had a dosage increase of my medication a few months ago which caused me to gain over 10 lbs. So since it was such a quick increase in weight this time, I'm feeling very self-conscious about it.
I joined a gym about 7 weeks ago. I went a couple times a week for about 2 weeks, and then I broke my toe, and since I couldn't get a shoe on for about 3 weeks, I wasn't able to keep working out. I just started again about 2 weeks ago. I've been working out 3 times a week for two weeks. I usually do 20-25 minutes on the stationary bike (I used to do the elliptical, but I'm still having trouble walking much because of my broken toe), and then I do either 3 sets of 10 reps or 2 sets of 15 reps on all the ab machines, the thigh machines, and the bicep and tricep machines. But I'm not seeing any results. I still weigh about 182 in the afternoon with all my clothes on (I weighed 180 this morning with my clothes on and before I ate anything). Am I expecting too much too soon? Shouldn't I have lost a couple of pounds by now? I've been working out 3 days a week for 2 weeks. Is my medication making my metabolism too slow for excercise to get rid of the weight? If so, should I just work out harder and spend more time on the bike or elliptical?
Thanks for any opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
(male)

CodinCody HB User
Re: working out, no results...

Put forth a harder effort, and you may be experiencing results to early. ALSO
Make sure you have a healthy diet, no junk food or anything :P. I have recently started going to the gym. maybe not 3 days a week for me, with work and all, but atleast once at the least.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
(male)

Clayton123 HB User

I'm pretty new to these boards but I may be able to help

First off...be patient. If I've learned anything from my fitness research it's that everyone's body is amazingly different. People gain or lose weigh and muscle at drastically different rates.

With your weight training are you pushing yourself hard enough? A general rule of thumb is that the last rep should be really hard.

One thing I noticed is that you are doing cardio and lifting on the same day. Though this isn't really that bad it can affect how much you can push yourself during the lifting time. Basically your glycogen levels (the fuel in your muscles) is getting lowered before you do the exercise that you really need it for. This can hamper your ability to really push yourself while lifting because..well.. your tank may be running low. Personally I do weights 3 days per week and cardio 2 days a week alternating between the two activities. I don't know what what your schedule is like so that may not be an option.

The last thing to look at is your diet. Take a good hard look at what you are eating everyday. Is there an abundance of carbs, sugar or fat? Also look at when you eat. How often do you have meals? Could you eat smaller meals more often? If you have pizza or pasta try to have it on the day before a weight session and try not to have really high carb meals two days in a row. (going back to glycogen..a really really simple way of looking at it is carbs/sugars = glycogen..it builds up in your muscles..but when you have to much glycogen your body burns that instead of fat thus not losing you any weight). Drink lots of water throughout the day..not 8 cups before bed. And make sure you have lots of high quality protein...especially after you lift. Don't worry about getting huge muscles and looking like the hulk..being a female don't have the hormones for ridiculous muscle growth..You should be able to keep it under control =)

I hope this helps... Like I said I'm new here but I've done a lot of research and recently lost 30lbs of fat and gain about 10lbs of muscle in about 2 months...basically just by cutting carbs/sugars and lifting heavy weights. Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
(male)

philm1009 HB User

It's a bit early to see any results, it normally takes about 8 weeks before fat burning cells really start kicking into action. Also, I'd suggest that 20-25 mins cardio isn't enough. 20-30 mins is very good for cardio vascular, but in order to burn fat you should try reduce the speed so that you can increase the workout time to more like an hour. Make sure you don't push yourself too hard, you should only be slightly out of breath throughout.
Also, walking to places that you would normally drive or take public transport will make a massive difference

Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

lam41565 HB User

Now I have heard over and over that you only need 25 minutes of cardio a day to burn fat and weight training 2x week. I never know what to believe. I heard this interval training is supposed to burn more fat in less time than just going at a regualr pace for 40 - 60 minutes. So who knows??? Right now I do 20 minute interval training on treadmill - 2 min slow, 2 min fast till I get to 20 minutes. And then cool down for about 10 min at a 3 mph pace. I have been doing this for about 3-4 weeks with no results yet. Still waitiing!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-30-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
(female)

mal06d HB User

you are doing the right thing. you just have to be patient. also try switching up your workout every once and a while, once your body gets used to your exercise plan it is harder to lose weight then at the beginning of your cycle. remember exercise is not the only thing that it takes to lose body fat, make sure you diet healthy and correctly and then your fat loss should take off. good luck!

Closed Thread