It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
(male)

mustangGT33 HB User
How's this routine for weight/muscle gain?

Hi all,

I've been thin my whole life, 5'10" and weighed around 115 early high school, started lifting and got up to 130, which I've stayed at until middle of this year from working out quite often during those years but never eating enough(I'm 23 now), when I got a higher paying job and started spending more money on quality food/supplements. Since September, I've gone from 130 to 138 currently, so I know I must be doing well, but any tips to tweak anything to make my routine better would be greatly appreciated. I can currently bench 4 reps of 185, to give an idea of where my strength is at; legs are much weaker as I've only recently started working them out (although I did play basketball in high school). Also, I'm concerned with trying to not gain too much fat during weight gain.

Workouts:
Upper body 2-3 times per week. Bench, arm curls, pullups or lat rows, shoulder shrugs, military press; usually a combination of 4 of those per workout.
Legs 2-3 times per week (different days than upper body). Leg curls, leg extensions, leg press; usually all 3 but a different order each time.

My workouts are at a free exercise room at my apt complex which has limited equipment and can't do many more exercises than those.

Diet:
Weekdays: Breakfast: 2 eggs, sunny-side up or scrambled, a hash brown, full glass of .5% milk and some juice, lunch: either a hungry man dinner or fast food, which I try to get something high in protein, and mountain dew (not really any healthy options at work except water), 3 hours later a protein bar (30g), (usually work out an hour-hour and a half after eating this), 30-60 mins after workout dinner: some kind of lean protein like chicken or salmon plus a side like pierogies or something, full glass of milk, bedtime: protein shake with 2-3 scoops mixed with full glass of milk. Most days I get around 180g protein. Weekends: usually similar except minus the protein bar but often go out to dinner once, where I always get a big salmon meal.

I'm trying to gain a pound a week, and ideally I'd like to get up to around 165, with minimum bodyfat gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How's this routine for weight/muscle gain?

Congratulations on committing to changes!

Regarding exercises:

Do you have access to small free weights? There are some exercises for your upper and rear deltoids and your triceps you might want to add in. Get someone to show you how in person.

And absolutely do some sort of abdominal exercises, you need a strong core to protect yourself from injury. Simple crunches and twist curls work fine.

Regarding food: You're probably getting enough protein, but vegetables are also your friends. And for work, maybe you could pack sandwiches, so you can eat healthy there too.

Last edited by janewhite1; 12-17-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
(male)

mustangGT33 HB User

Thanks. The only free weights there are 2 45-lb dumbbells (what a strange choice for the only selection, lol). I do have 2 15-lb dumbbells at home so I guess I can do lateral raises or whatever they're called (where you raise your arms, keeping them straight, in front of you or to the side with a dumbbell in each hand). Although I thought shoulder shrugs took care of rear deltoids pretty well?

I haven't concentrated too much on abs lately as I used to do A LOT of crunches from probably ages 18-21ish and still have a strong, scultped stomach. But, the 6-pack may only show so well because I'm so thin. I do know I should keep those up regardless though, especially since I know I'll inevitable gain some fat around the midsection.

What kind of vegetables do you suggest and which meals are best to incorporate them into? How about broccoli...I always get that as my side when I get salmon at a restaurant. Also, you don't think eating just a sandwich for lunch would be a massive calorie/protein cut?

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by mustangGT33; 12-18-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I don't honestly know from shoulder shrugs, they aren't an exercise I do. I'd think, though, that they use more the trapezius and the rhomboids.

Just make sure you are using all three deltoid muscle groups, the one that pulls your elbows, back, the one that lifts them above your head, and the one that pushes your arms forward (bench presses work that one).

What vegetables? Anything, really, though the starchy ones like corn and potatoes are less helpful. When I make my dinner, I try to eat one vegetable which is green, such as spinach or broccoli, and one that's another color, like onion, carrot, mushroom or pepper. I usually have them cooked lightly, steamed or sauteed.

You don't necessarily have to eat just a sandwich for lunch, you could make two sandwiches, or a very large sandwich, or throw in some nuts or raisins or carrot sticks. Any way you slice it, what you pack will be healthier than a burger and fries.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
(male)

mustangGT33 HB User

Actually I haven't had a burger in months, but still, chicken sandwich and fries still isn't great, I know. I do eat Subway sometimes, low-fat high protein footlong like turkey breast or chicken usually, but I get sick of that easily.

Anyways, I weighed in at 140 even on Monday, and it was my goal to get there by the new year, so I was pretty happy about that. Now I'm thinking 150 by spring...13 weeks, pretty reasonable.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangGT33 View Post
Actually I haven't had a burger in months, but still, chicken sandwich and fries still isn't great, I know.
If you do eat at fast food burger places, grilled chicken sandwiches (where the chicken is not breaded and fried) are among the very few things that are not really unhealthy. Most items in fast food burger places (including fries) contain trans-fat, according to the nutrition information on their web sites.

Closed Thread