It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

Cakies HB User
Can't afford the gym anymore!

Hi, I was hoping I could get some ideas from people. Money is tight and I can't afford my gym membership anymore. I put on a bit of weight over the holidays and I really want to get back to working out. I want to lose about 20 pounds. Can anyone give me some free/cheap ways to lose weight. I already walk a ton, I live in the city with no car. I hate running outside, I miss the eliptical So I have been trying to go on extra walks. I try to do some yoga at home too. Does anyone have any ideas? Good workouts for home (which is a very small apartment) I know I should just run outside but its COLD here by the time I get home from work it's 17 degrees out and lately the ground is covered in snow. I really need some cardio that gets my heart rate up and if you know of a good small space/indoor workout that does not require large equipment please let me know!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
(female)

hunjiman HB User
Re: Can afford Gym Anymore

Do you have a dvd player? You can rent a variety of workout routines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The ground is covered with snow? And this is a problem because?

Ah, you do not have cross-country skis! Buy a secondhand pair of X-C skis. It takes about 10 minutes to learn how to use them. It's as intense as running, cardio-wise, but it has no joint impact.

I'm soo jealous of you. We've had like 4 snowfalls here, but none was quite enough to get my skis out.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

Cakies HB User

I wish I could cross country ski that sounds so fun! Unfortunatly Snow here turns into brown muck pretty quickly and well its the city so I think some people would be a bit angry about me skiing on the already over crowded sidewalks. I have been using free videos from my cable they are the on demand thing so I can watch them whenever. I really want to go skiing now!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Can't afford the gym anymore!

I actually can't exercise outside when it's cold or my allergies act up too much and for some reason I get a rash on my skin that gets very red and itches so bad!

I'd try the exercise dvd's. I really like Denise Austin's dvds. Her Boot Camp one works very well and I like her Pilates ones too. I didn't really care for Windsor pilates and some of the others I've tried though.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I don't like the cold either. How about stairs? I work on the 12th floor and sometimes walk up and down the stairs when I'm on break.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Oh yes stairs are great! I agree with that! When the weather is nice here, I like jogging outside and then jogging up and down the stairs too. It's a VERY good workout and can be quite challenging. The good thing is that you can change up the pace too.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

An alternative is to look for ways to trim your budget so that you can still afford the gym. Or look for a cheaper gym or a better deal at the current gym. Would cutting the cable TV save enough money to save the gym?

If you eat any restaurant meals, you may want to look there. Especially since restaurants often load up meals with more calories than you would if you prepared similar food at home. Of course, any and all junk food should be removed from the budget, as it is bad for both your finances and your health.

Some strength training can be done with bodyweight exercises or those that require minimal equipment, like pullups, pushups, dips, and crunches.

For cardio, the cheapest way is to just run outside, or run up and down stairs as mentioned by another poster above. If you do not want to run outside or up and down stairs, do you have a bicycle? If you do, you can get a trainer stand and put the bicycle on it and bicycle inside. If you really want your own elliptical machine, look for used ones which are often sold cheap or even given away (though you may have to wait until after January to find them). But elliptical machines are bulky and heavy and may be more of a hassle than a bicycle and trainer stand, or a pair of running shoes, especially in a small apartment.

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

There are free exercise shows (aerobics, etc.) on cable TV on OnDemand.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
(male)

dubW HB User

I am a big advocate of stairways - offices, stores, parks or anywhere - run/walk the stairs. Runs in the park are free. Malls are great places to walk, and if you live near a beach, running in soft sand is a huge workout. Lots of other great suggestions here.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

There are some really good exercise videos out there. I've been working out at home for the past 8 years! My favorite type of home exercise is the stepper in which the intensity and calories burned in one workout is almost equal to running.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-22-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
(female)

SusanKay0824 HB User
Smile Re: Can't afford the gym anymore!

Hello-I use Turbo Jam for over a yr. now and lost about 15 lbs., so am at my ideal weight - also cut out my sugars and white potatoes and breads - also pastas. Use sweet potatoes instead and spinach pasta. Buy a bread at the health store or good grocery store in frozen section called Ezekiel bread - nothing turns to sugar from this bread! Lots of water and fresh veggies and some fresh fruit of course. I steamed my veggies - ate a lot of chicken and fish in moderation and some lean beef also. The main thing for me was sugar and of course not eating after 6:30 in the evening.
My husband is doing Turbo Jam w/me and it has really helped his abs. It has 3 different DVD's and several to pick from on each - no gym costs and can be done from the convenience of your home whenever you like! We also walk alot. Good luck!

Closed Thread