It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
(male)

SigurPol HB User
Looking for a BIT more muscle, and a flatter stomach.

I gained some weight over the past year or so since I was full time student and working a lot, I was always getting quick meals and fast food. Usually around 165-70 (I'm about 6' with a medium frame), but now I'm looking at 190. I'm still like... lanky (thin arms and legs), but more of a gut, and my face has gotten fuller. I work in retail and it's a pain wearing my pants to work all the time that are getting tight since I've put on some weight. I don't plan on buying new pants, haha.

Anyway, the past 12 says I've cut out all soda that I drink, I've been drinking water all the time. Juice now n' then. Smaller portions, eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, stop snacking in between, and running for about 30 minutes every other day. However, I haven't done much lifting in my life, and I'm looking to do some now.

What other foods should I be looking at and staying away from? (Specifically).

Now, I've found a schedule of lifting that I go by in between the days I run. It basically has me doing
15 crunches
15 Leg raises
15 Oblique V-Ups
Then the following is 2 sets with 10 reps
Bench Press
Military Press
Bicep Curls
Tricep Pulldowns
Squats
Leg Curls

Then I repeat that cycle again once more. Leaving out the ab part for the second time around. I'm starting light with the weights.

Finally, my friend suggested (for now.. later on he said you can just start eating fish n' such) some Whey protein. I went to GNC and the guy suggested this stuff that they make, gave me all the info on it and said it's what I'm looking for. It's that Wheybolic EXTREME 60.

So, my question is, am I on the right track with this? Looking for a little more muscle in my arms and legs and chest, but wanting to get rid of the gut I have into something flatter. I'm not looking for insane tight abs. That's pretty much my goal.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
(male)

brad85 HB User
Re: Looking for a BIT more muscle, and a flatter stomach.

Sounds like you're doing good with your eating habbits. Heres some specific foods, the protein foods will help with your muscle gaining efforts, and the others are good for carbohydrates and are low in fat, sugar, and sodium (which are 3 things you want to eat less of). So stay away from cake, cookies, candy, and all that stuff.
Protein-Turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, flounder, grouper, soy beans, and egg whites.
Carbohydrates- Potato, oatmeal, pasta, rice, and grits. Also keep in mind the sugar and artificial sweeteners in the oatmeal. And in the pasta the sodium and all. If you want, you can take it real far and eat it plain.

I was told to not eat bread or drink milk too. But an exeption for milk in the morning. I thought those were healthy (100% whole wheat bread, 2%milk), but idk.

As for the working out for muscle mass part, im not sure. I have been searching for good, effective routines too. I have heard upper body one day, lower next, and just keep cycling (weekend off maybe? i forget).

Also have heard isolating 2 primary muscles per day, with the exeption of legs. Like triceps with chest, biceps with back, legs and shoulders (my favorite), but there is also Arms, chest and back, shoulders and legs, and other methods. But as for the weight and rest period, im all confused. I have heard 1 min rest between sets with 3 sets, and 10-12 reps, next set 8-10, next 6-8, with the highest weight you can do it with of course. Some people suggest even higher weight with 4-6 reps each set and 2-3 minutes rest, i have not tried that though, and i think the 1 min rest and such sounds like it would work better.

Also i have been told to wait 30 sec MAX rest time between sets, with about 4 sets per exercise, sometimes all 4 are 10 reps, sometimes its a pyramid (15-13-10-8). This method also with isolated muscle groups each day.

So what gets me is the rest periods between sets, i have heard different reasons why one is better than the other. But personally i feel like i get a better workout with the 1 min rest between sets, but im gonna try the other way. I have found out that the only way i will know which way works for sure is to try it. Im thinking for about 2 months, i think that should show significant results. Who knows, maybe it doesnt matter which way you work out. But hope i helped.

Edit: Oh, and i dont think it matters which day you do abs, maybe 1 ab exercise per day, or maybe 1 day of many ab exercises.

Also, avoid working out too much. Leave like at least 1 full day between working out the same muscle groups. I have read that overworking can actually decrease your muscle mass.

And supplements are good, especially for a quick and easy protein source. Whey protein is the best i have heard many times. And theres different variations, whey protein isolate is the purest.

I took wheybolic 60 before, it did seem like it helped but then again it could have been the placebo effect and just my mind thinking it (i didnt take measurments or weight). I bet 100% whey protein is just as effective as whatever else is in that thing, but im not sure.

Oh, and i have read, and heard that 5-7 small meals are better than 3 big meals. Not sure exactly why, but i think it helps with hunger.

Well stay motivated, and stick with it! Maybe in 2 months or so you could let me know about progress .

Last edited by brad85; 03-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
(male)

SigurPol HB User

Word, thanks a ton man for the input! I'll keep in mind with what you mentioned about the foods.

Yea, my buddy suggested Whey claiming it works very well.

I did hear some things about avoiding bread, if anything, wheat can be acceptable.

I also forgot to add that I use Sunday as my day of rest for the week to let everything build itself, hahaha. I agree with the minute rest, I've heard people saying 30 seconds as well but... that's awfully fast (for me, at least)

Again, you helped much, thanks a ton

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Cardiochris HB User

Okay here is what I've learned studying up on this for the past nine mos, talking fitness and mainly muscle building forums...

Best way to lose the gut is cardio. Best times for this is first thing in the morn, before breakfast and after your w/o in the aft. This is when your body will burn the most fat, to get the energy it needs. Low intensity is good but trry to increase the duration to around 45 min, cuz it takes around 20 min to start the process.

Brad's recomendations on food sound great! Although I know that whole wheat bread is good and that low fat milk is actually good too, protein, calcium etc. If you're only eating good, whole foods you'd be amazed at how much food you're spose to eat to be properly nurished.

If you're new to lifting, it's good to start out with a 'whole body' w/o like you got going, to strengthen the tendons and get the body prepaired for lifting weights. They recommend 12 weeks of this. Then you'll want to 'split' it up, focusing on one or two major muscle groups a day then giving those muscles a week to rest. Yep lifting weight damages the muscle putting tears in them, lifting again too soon keeps them from repairing themselves and cannot 'rebuild'. This is when they get larger. So give them rest!

Your muscle takes about 1-1/2 min to re-coup after a set and be ready to lift again, so 1 min is an ave time between sets. But bigger muscles can need more time, so I'll go atleast 1 1/2 min rest between squats to be sure my legs are fully ready to give their all on the next set.

As a general rule; a low rep range in a set is used for strength training (4-6 reps) and 6-12 reps is for muscle growth (putting on mass) and high reps, 12-20 are used for muscle toning.

One last thing mentioned was the meals.. Yep spread em out. I eat 5 meals a day (one every 3 hrs) Keeps the metabolisim reved, blood sugars even, lots of things I can't think of right now (but it's important)

Hey gotta run. Gotta make me a turkey on whole wheat

G'luck with the training.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
(male)

SigurPol HB User

Thanks Chris for the input! I'm going to have to follow that advice about during cardio once in the morning and once after w/o in the afternoon or so.

Also thanks for covering the whole body work out for 12 weeks or so, I didn't know about that, so that's useful information for me.

My ten reps for each set is sufficient, right? I know you mentioned the 4-6, 6-12, 12-20 reps, and I'm trying to bulk a little in areas... so the 6-12 sounds the place for me to start.

Also, any advice specific cardio? I have an elliptical machine that I use in case of the weather or if I don't feel running outside that day (I get shin splints easily and it gets annoying). Today I'm starting to jump rope since I read thats a key H.I.T.T thing to do.

Enjoy that sandwich and thanks again!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Cardiochris HB User

Mmmm, the sammy was great, thanks

Now there's a long running debate over HIIT vs LIT (low intesity training)

You probly already know the good things about HIIT; keeps the metabolisim reved well after the workout, burning calories (the afterburn) But because of the high demand, that fat alone can't provide, you also burn some muscle. So it's mostly frowned on by bodybuilders. But notice 'mostly'. Cuz if your diet is perfect, I mean spot on.. exact ratios of protein/carbs/fat etc. to a T, you can pull off HIIT and build muscle. Look at sprinters for an example

LIT on the other hand, especially done at the right imes (when your glycogen levels are low) is a smooth running, fat burning machine. Much more foregiving.

Hey do you ever ride a bike? I've had shin probs too (along with knees) and I doan think there's anything better'n peddling! Any intensity you want, right there!

Hey G'luck burnin some fat.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
(male)

SigurPol HB User

Chris, thanks again for the info!

Unfortunately, I DON'T have a bike at the moment. I used to have one that belonged to my brother, but he took it back to his place some time ago.

I think I'm gonna stick to the rope jumping for now (which, the past day or so, it's kicked my ***, hahah), and see how it goes. I did read about body builders not into jumping rope, but I'm not exactly going for a big frame right now. Just ya know, cut down on my stomach and getting some definition everywhere else. I'm not looking to bulk up a ton. Then again, you know more than I do, hahaha.

Or perhaps a mix of the two? Running and jumping rope? Or is that gonna do more harm than good?

Also, probably a question most people ask, when would I start to see results? About a month from now, or so?

Finally! What time of the day would you recommend to do cardio and working out? I seem to jump around times a lot because my work schedule is never the same twice. Sometimes I go in the AM and get everything done, or I end up doing my workout routine late at night. Will that hurt my process?

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Cardiochris HB User

Running and jumping rope sounds like great cardio (I see muscle builders jumping rope)

If you've just started weight training you're gonna start seeing results soon. Biceps will pop out, you're gonna love it. Then it comes to a stop unless you're taking in a surlpus of calories and eating right.

Most people recommend working out later in the day, after you've had a couple meals. You want to eat 'clean' and meals with lotsa protein like chicken breast, turkey, lean red meat. And you also need plenty of carbs, but complex carbs, stuff like whole wheat bread, brown rice, pasta, oats... Do some research on the subject, you've got a lot to learn and it's interesting stuff.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
(male)

bellum30 HB User
Cool Re: Looking for a BIT more muscle, and a flatter stomach.

I echo the sentiments of the above but in addition, for a flatter stomach cut out late night snacking and sugary snacks and sweetened drinks. You may want to do some abs work.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-30-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
(male)

Benevolence HB User

my ab workout is on the swiss ball at the gym with a dumbell in one hand raised up to the ceiling and doing crunches. (my gym doesn't have a crunch machine and somehow i prefer swissball to the stomach thing they got).
crunches are good
there are other ab excercises though, might be worth a shot experimenting them.

<removed>

once you find out though ( and assuming they work well for you ) try making a superset out of them.
A superset is where you alternate between similar excercises without rest.

I also heard somewhere that losing stomach weight is really hard and targeting the stomach may actually not be too effective in getting rid of it, so keep up the diet and the cardio. I heard from one bodybuilder that he lost 10kg in a month from good dieting and one hour cardio sessions.
10kg in a month is a hell of alot to lose.
I used to think walking was useless.

... mind you I'm still gonna stick with my running. ^^
To the deepest state, to the pain I've felt.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-03-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: do not discuss moderator decisions

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
(male)

bellum30 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Looking for a BIT more muscle, and a flatter stomach.

In order to achieve that flatter stomach, you desire, you have to bring diet and nutrition into the equation. It doesn't matter how many crunches you do, unless you cut down on sweetened drinks/juices, the use of refined sugar, eat less gluten and consume less alcohol which has a high sugar content and water retention properties, you will see little or no results.

It will take some commitment and dedication on your part to succeed. If you stick to to a sensible program, you can do it.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
(male)

SigurPol HB User

Thanks to the both of you for the input!

I have keep sticking to my diet still, almost nothing but water to drink. I'll have some OJ in the morning, but sodas are out. Unfortunately, every now n' then when I'm out, I'll have alcohol. But that's really like.. a once a month thing.

However, my work schedule has been giving me weird hours, where I come home and I'm so tired, I skip that day for cardio/lifting. So my consistency has been way off. It's upsetting, but the past two days, I've been back on track!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
(female)

cougarsoccer9 HB User

the best post workout drinks is milk...can be fat free or 2% whatever..there was a great study done about it several yrs ago...<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-10-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: do not discuss how to find websites.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
(male)

Benevolence HB User

alcohol is supposed to be bad for yah eh. you know the beer gut thing. cuz people who drink it tend to drink till drunk, it bloats them.
but yeah once a month is just fine.
I actually cheat with occasional junk food.... actually its just started to get too much and I've decided that every day I don't eat junk food I can have 2 more protein shakes than normal. I like the taste so its a nice rewards system
Also its cheapest source of protein and even atm I'm getting too low protein.
I must get about 80 grams a day atm. with 2 more shakes a day I'll be getting about 116 a day.
The amount you need a day depends alot on who you ask.
RDI says about 70-80 grams a day.
Bodybuilders can vary alot, but 2 grams per KG is one that comes up alot.
So by that I'd need 160 grams.
hmm

OH and also I've finally got an abs routine I like.
Unfortunatly though its really hard to explain. it is with swissball and dumbells btw.
If you are interested then ask and I'll try and explain.
To the deepest state, to the pain I've felt.

Closed Thread