It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
(male)

Cytosol HB User
Neck strain causing dizziness?

I work out and lift freeweights pretty regularly. About a month ago, I did something at the gym that caused a problem with my neck. I was unable to turn it left and it was very tense.. it took about a week to go away and then I returned to my regular workout routine. I don't know what actually caused the neck strain, since I don't recall any trauma or pain during the workout.. just afterwards, my neck was killing me and I couldn't turn it left.

The only problem is even though the neck strain went away, I started getting dizzy spells and occasional vertigo.. This occured a few times a day and I thought it might have something to do with blood sugar or anxiety or something.. but the last few weeks, the dizziness has been with me pretty much constantly. Sometimes it is so bad that I need to hang onto something from fear of falling over, but I always have a dizzy 'haze' hanging over me. I do suffer from anxiety, but have it well under control, and only feel negative anxiety related symptoms during a very rare anxiety attack.

I saw a doctor about this a few days ago and she determined it to be Labyrinthitis. She made this diagnosis just based on my symptoms, but the neck thing never occured to me until today.

I stretched my neck a bit today and it actually seemed to help the dizziness quite a bit. I don't really have any neck pain or tenseness anymore, but could there still be something that hasn't quite healed causing these symptoms?

I can't drive, ride a bike, and barely even walk sometimes with this dizziness, and it is driving me crazy. I am 27, healthy (or so I thought) and would like to get to the bottom of this so I can get on with my life. If anyone has any suggestions or a similar experience, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User
Re: Neck strain causing dizziness?

I have this too. I had a whiplash, and it's the suboccipitals in the deep back of my neck, they are weak and I think since they got injured need to be exercised deliberately and heated often because they want to build up scar tissue. i'm under a chiropractic college's care, they know how to work with the muscle imbalanace and sure it will resolve with their care and the right exercises. I lay on a heat pad now often, and although I got relief with muscle relaxors, they gave me other symptoms. <removed> I'm 36 years old have the done the whiplash thing before but never having had these particular symptoms and been so confused and bewildered and anxious too.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-05-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Do not discuss private contact on the Boards.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
(male)

pws HB User

Hi, I suffer just like u cytosol. I work out alot and was lifting heavy weights for a while. Then it just happened. Dizzy and lightheaded feeling. Everyday. Its killing me. Ive had so many dr appts, mri of head, neck. Saw ENT. Saw a cardiologist. All negative. Talked with a couple neurologists. One said it was a strained neck, which i agree, but it hasnt gotten better. I still workout and i can feel my neck getting tired and it spasms. Im pretty sure its causing the lightheadedness. But im so exhausted from this that its starting to give me anxiety. Its been over a year and i just want some relief. I dont want to be like this forever. If anyone has a treatment, please let me know. Im in dire need.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
(male)

titan38 HB User

It'll take 6-12 weeks before your neck is actually healed, although it may feel better much sooner. Continue to stretch it, daily, drink tons of water and be patient with this process. It takes time. As far as your dizziness, I would see at least one more doctor to be sure. You will not get a better diagnosis online. Going in to see a medical professional is your smartest move.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

Susan635 HB User

I have this same condition and it's really starting to interfere with my life. I use to suffer from anxiety attacks about 8 years ago, but rarely get them anymore as I've learned to control them. However...this situation is making the attacks creep up again. Probably because I am worried that it's something serious. I "feel" like it is stemming from something in my neck. About a month ago, I was doing somersaults with my kids, but did not notice any pain after that so thought nothing of it. A week (or two) later, I started having a strange head feeling kinda like dizziness, but not falling over. Now it seems I have a constant full feeling in my head. I don't seem to have it in the morning or for a while after I get up. Laying down seems to relieve it somewhat. Another strange thing is that I work at a computer all day and cannot not seem to focus properly since this started. Things are not blurry, but my focus is strained and I usually end up with a headache that is all over my head. I have no head or neck pain (except for the occasional headaches that come from straining my eyes). The full head/dizziness feeling sometimes changes when my head/neck changes positions and is aggravated by typing on my keyboard or moving my arms alot (particularly the left side). Yes, sounds strange, I know. Any response is totally appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Susan635 For This Useful Post:
Joanne1369 (03-29-2012)
Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
(male)

tibo HB User

Hi all,

Did anybody get any suggestion/info about this problem - neck strain and dizziness. I really would appreciate some answers.

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

My best understanding now is that I have eustatian tube dysfunction, <edited>. When the weather cools down, I have to use cotton in my ears and limit time out doors, the inner ear swells and causes temporary dizzziness otherwise.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-13-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
(male)

jspearc30 HB User

Any word on what the problem was?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspearc30 View Post
Any word on what the problem was?
Well, it's confusing. I was on Ambian and getting off it mayhave made all of the difference. Or it was from sub-occipital muscles possibly or the atlas something in my neck from having whip lash. It all settled down at once. It may have been the spring when my ears dried up. I've been good for over a year now, with very little issues. Maybe when I was out in the cold again, if it was my ears. But I rarely ever feel much of anything uncomfortable anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to LL37 For This Useful Post:
jspearc30 (04-17-2011)
Closed Thread