It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

tiffany1704 HB User
Smile Swimming?

Hi,

I have a question. I have started swimming for an hour a day after I get off of work. Just the regular breast stroke...I believe that is what it is. Is that the same as running or is it better? And how long will I start to see changes? I am 5'3" and around 120lbs. I am just out of shape and looking to tone my body up. Also if I was to add 50 sit-ups a day to the swimming, would that help? And I haven't been watching what I am eating either. Any suggestions on that?

Tiffany

Last edited by tiffany1704; 05-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Swimming?

Swimming is a great form of exercise to do. But...bear in mind, that swimming is a non-impact activity...whereas running is most certainly a high-impact activity...so the two are quite different. Since it's quite difficult to track calories-burned in the water, it's hard to say exactly how many calories you'd be burning swimming an hour of breaststroke. From my own personal experience, I would say that swimming freestyle would burn quite a bit more calories than breaststroke, simply because your arms are being raised above your heart. The other thing I noticed about swimming, is that I tend to get very hungry afterwards...more so than with any other form of cardio exercise. I have heard that this has something to do with a lowered body temperature...and if you immediately bring your body temp up right after getting out of the water (such as sitting in a steamroom or sauna), it will curb the intense hunger feeling that usually occurs after swimming.

Last edited by nscrbug; 05-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread