It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Exercise & Indigestion

Do any of you struggle with indigestion/acid reflux during exercise? I eat a healthy diet and avoid working out right after eating. I also avoid drinking anything right before working out. I'll feel fine at first, but once I start taking sips of water, I have acid reflux. I try to not drink much water when working out because of this, but I at least need a sip here and there.

My workouts consist of 3-4 miles of running at about 7mph and then weight lifting and core workouts. Sometimes I'll wait several hours after dinner before I work out. My gym is not open after that time, and plus, I need to get to bed for work the next morning. I eat dinner as early as I can around 6pm when I get home. A typical dinner for me would be some chicken and salad and maybe some other smaller side dish. I eat smaller meals/snacks throughout the day and eat about 1800 calories to maintain my weight. I am hungry very often!

If anyone has any tips, please let me know. I tend to be a pretty thirsty person, especially in the summer heat. I work out indoors, but I still get thirsty and hate to almost vomit repeatedly as I'm trying to run or strength train. I also have a sensitive stomach so I tend to eat a pretty repetitive diet that I know is safe for me.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
(female)

btamilee HB User
Re: Exercise & Indigestion

I was having an issue with acid reflux while working out. I was having it at other times, but it was much worse when I ran on the treadmill. My doctor recently sent me for some tests and found that I have an ulcer. I am now on medicine to help with acid reflux and the ulcer and have had no problems while running since starting my meds. It has worked wonders for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Yeah, I have recently been plagued with acid reflux/GERD symptoms during the first hour or so of my early morning workouts (I usually run first, followed by some other form of cardio such as elliptical or stairs). I do eat before I workout, but it's the same thing every single day and it's never bothered me like this in the past...so I'm not sure why it has suddenly become a problem lately. My normal pre-workout meal is a bowl of unflavored organic oatmeal with a few banana slices mixed in and a sprinkle of cinnamon....OR...a slice of whole wheat toast with natural PB and sliced bananas on top. And I always have a glass of water, too. I have a hard time believing that any of those foods would cause this type of reaction...but what else could it possibly be, right? I'm thinking of trying an OTC medication with my breakfast, just to see if it helps to curb the reflux during my runs.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thank you both for your replies! I guess a doctor's visit could never hurt to see if there is anything I can take to help. A few people suggested that I eat too close to my workouts, but I wait a couple hours and it's already putting me to bed at a time where I only get 6 1/2 hours of sleep, when I'm the type of person that really needs 8. I think it's more the water I drink, but you can't just give up water and go thirsty. It's been so hot outside, so I just drink more water. nscrbug, I hope you are able to find something that helps you too! I used to take chewable Tums, but stopped because I was getting very nauseous. Turns out it was my multivitamin, not the Tums. I'll have to try them again and see if it helps.

Funny enough, diet sodas help my indigestion at times. I think I may eat too fast at times and the carbonation in the sodas helps me get rid of air I swalled during eating. I do better when I eat very clean and also avoid things like soup and juicy foods at dinner.

I warm up and cool down, but do you think that regardless of warm up and cool down, a vigorous exercise can do this? I hear about those really tough classes where people actually vomit. I am thankful that it isn't like this, but I often do feel really exhausted and sometimes have to lay down after a run because I don't feel well. If I slow it down, then I don't feel that it was challenging enough!

btamilee, where you getting any other ulcer symptoms?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

btamilee HB User

My main symptom for the ulcer was the indigestion while running. I did have the occasional heartburn, but by far my main problem was when I was on the treadmill. I was actually surprised when they told me about the ulcer, because I thought I would have more symptoms. I can so relate to slowing down, but not feeling like it was challenging enough. I started on my meds for the ulcer about two weeks ago, and within a few days I could run again without any problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

wawang HB User

You may need to seek medical attention to your indigestion problems. Just ask for doctor's advise about your fitness workouts so you can be aware of what you'll need to avoid during your physical activities.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
(female)

Cobear HB User

I have this problem occasionally. It is triggered by eating onions, artificial sweeteners, and coffee. If you keep a food journal have you noticed any pattern in food and an increase of symptoms? This week I felt so ill just walking that I decided to cut drinks containing maltodextrin and aspertame out of my diet.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your reply. I do drink coffee but just one cup in the morning on work days. I know I would not be able to handle it well right before a workout! I also do drink crystal light on occasion, but most of the time I just drink plain water. I've been trying to only sip water a little bit at a time and it's been helping so much. I used to keep a bottle with me and be gulping it down as I ran, but I just have to wait until AFTER my workout to drink a good amount of water. I tend to accidentally drink my water too fast and get a belly full of liquids. It's so hot here (over 100 degrees) so I'm always thirsty!

Closed Thread