It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

melissa1873 HB User
Pain and excercise

I am looking for inspiration. I was an avid runner. Played every sport under the sun. Now, at almost 40, I have hip bursitis, ankle tendonitis, lower back problems, and severe bunions on both feet. Long story short...I tried nursing myself back to health to no avail. Now getting cortisone shots in hip, bunion surgeries..icing...resting...wrapping. Its been a couple years since I've been able to excercise regularly and I've gained quite a bit of weight. Anyone else make it thru issues like these and regain health and a good excercise regemine? Or am I destined to walk and bike the rest of my life and be in pain? I'm quite discouraged and have been for a long time. I try and get one thing fixed and another problem shows up.

Sorry admin, not sure if this should be on pain board or excercise.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Pain and excercise

Hi there! I am very sorry to hear about your pain. I am sure that is very frustrating since you want to get back into exercise. Just remember for now to take things slow- doing too much will only create more issues and pain and won't let you recover. First work on getting each item under control... give it some time and don't rush it... and then slowly add back in some exercise. There is hope! I do not have any serious health issues or injuries, but I do know that I tried too hard and worked myself til I was exhausted and developed mild stress fractures in my legs and knee pain. I had to give myself a break and stick with low impact exercise only for about half a year and very slowly add back in running. I also had to buy shoes to help correct my overpronating (which was causing the knee pain probably) and I wear a brace on the knee to prevent pains. For about another half year, I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to run again. It wasn't comfortable or I'd still feel the pains, and I hated doing other exercise. But eventually I was able to do it again! Just take care of yourself FIRST. Use this time to focus on your nutrition so you can be feeling your best. Do you like swimming? Maybe you can find a good low impact exercise you enjoy to do while you rest from running.

I do not have severe bunions, but I was getting the start of them from wearing bad shoes in the past. I have been buying Asics running shoes ever since, because they run wider in the toe box and where bunions are. My feet have big bones, so they hurt easily if a shoe rubs against them. My Asics are also a stretchy mesh material, which fits very comfortably. Most importantly, I am very careful with my dress shoes and I try to wear open toe shoes when possible. When I find heels that run wider at the area where bunions form, I will buy a couple of pairs!

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon Don't give up! There is hope!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread