It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
(male)

Hermie328 HB User
Would too much exercise make you sleepy?

Would too much exercise make someone sleepy?

This sounds like a stupid question, but I'll just ask it anyway. I have recently started playing a lot of tennis, almost everyday, up to 2 hours a day hitting really hard against a wall (practising new strokes). I enjoy it so much that I don't want to stop. By the way, I am aged 54, 5'8" tall and weigh 150 lb, and I have never had that much exercise before in my life. I lost 10 lbs since doing that . I don't feel any fatigue. In fact I feel great after hitting the ball for 2 hours, and after a shower. The problem is I begin to feel quite sleepy during the day, I don't know if it is because of something else. So sleepy that I have to get up and go hit the ball (I usually play tennis in the evenings).

I read an article which says too much exercise may reduce the count of white blood cells, and other negative effects. I wonder if sleepiness is one of them.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
(male)

frenchman HB User
Re: Would too much exercise make you sleepy?

Usually for the 1st month your body has to adapt to the workout. You will feel sleepy. Another thing you can try is rather than working out in the morning, work out before you go to sleep. You will wake up feeling refreshed.

Also since your working out this much, you'll have to change your diet. You may not be getting enough nutrients. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
(male)

Hermie328 HB User

Hi Frenchman, thanks for your input. I have changed my routine, I now workout first thing in the morning, then I feel great throughout the day after having a nice shower. Also, I warm down and do a complete round of stretching now after hitting out, fully relaxing the muscles (I guess previously when I didn't do much warming down, my muscles stiffen up the next day, giving me a sleepy sensation). I have also changed my diet, to provide enough nutrient for the working out (my diet previously was ok only for the minimal exercise that I had). I have reduced the amount of working out too, hitting out hard for 2 hours is probably too much, I am trying to keep it down to just over an hour, my muscles feel a lot more relaxed now.

All in all I feel great now, never been that energetic, and my tennis shots have improved a lot too.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
(male)

titan38 HB User

You are over training, possibly, and yes it can make you tired (or sleepy). Your body needs more time to recoup and that is probably why you are more "sleepy" than normal. Take a week off and see if that helps.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
(male)

Hermie328 HB User

Hi Titan38, thanks for your post. I think I was over-training too when I did 2 hours a day hitting out really hard (just for a week or so). It was definitely too much, at least for my age. I guess I was testing how far I could go and got carried away with the new shots I was doing. I am now keeping it down to 1 hour a day, do it in the morning, and with the stretching afterward, I am feeling great.

When I think about it, when I first started this workout, I only did about 45 minutes each time, every other day. I felt sleepy almost right after the workout. I think the sleepiness was gone in about 1 month or 2. Anyway, 2 hours a day everyday is definitely too much, for my age.

By the way, I do sweat a lot when working out. I mean a lot, occasionally I can see sweat dripping from the tip of the cap that I wear (its hot in Australia now). But I keep drinking water during working out, and I do feel fine during and after the workout.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I definitely get sleepy if I'm working out really hard! I remember feeling pretty wiped out when doing 2-3 hours of cardio every day for a fitness contest (which I won- yay!). It was SO important to get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, and eat enough to get the nutrients your body needs. I made sure to get well balanced meals and had to increase my calories during those days of extra training. I pretty much ate an extra meal in the afternoon (although I kept my meals light- nothing heavy and overly processed) each day. I also took a break right after the contest to let my body rest, for a few days, then returned to my normal routine of working out for about an hour.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
(male)

Hermie328 HB User

Hi tUrRrRa, thanks for your post. You are quite right. In the past, when I had little exercise, I slept very little, sometimes only 5 hours at night, I got by quite well, and I was proud of it. Ever since I started working out more, I REALLY feel the need to sleep more at night. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
(male)

robmoffat HB User

This is definitely true - I go swimming quite a lot, and after a big session of that I am usually zonked out on the sofa afterwards, likewise if my personal trainer gives me a hard workout, my eyes are closing all evening.

Actually, I rely on this effect: if I want a quiet afternoon, I take the kids swimming for an hour or so in the morning, which is great for them as it gives them some good exercise and swimming practice, but they'll definitely nap well after that (they're quite young).

What I don't quite get though is that sometimes I train late in the evening, and then I'm awake for hours and find it hard to get to sleep. Anyone else have that problem and know maybe why it happens?

cheers,

Rob

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-15-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread