It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
(male)

cubeus19 HB User
question about exercise heart rate...

Hello I was wondering how often each week are we suppossed to get our heart rate into our target exercise heart rate zone? I know my exercise heart rate zone is between 137 and 166 beats a minute. Are we basically suppossed to get into this zone every day of the week, most of the days of the week, or only two to three days a week? Oh one more thing, are we suppossed to just stay within our target heart rate zone during exercise or can we go to per se or are we suppossed to get within 75 or 85 percent of our maximum heart rate? If that's the case then I would have to get my heart rate up in the 180s to 190s! Would that be healthy? Anyway thanks for your time and replies. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

cat3883 HB User
Re: question about exercise heart rate...

How old are you? I am 50 years old so my heart rate at 100% is 170. I do cardio 6 days a week, and strength train 4 of those days as well. I wear a polar heart rate monitor and I get my rate to 175 most days. But the best way to to work out is interval training so your heart rate will change throughout your workout. For instance, I will do a treadmill workout where I will walk for one minute, run for 3 minutes, then walk for a minute. I do this 6 times for a total of 30 minutes. This will get your heart rate up and down, therefore, your body will burn more calories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
(male)

cubeus19 HB User

Yes, I'm 25 years old, will be 26 this comming March.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

cat3883 HB User

You deduct your age from 220. At 26 your 100% heart rate is 194. Your 80% is 155. To get a great work out you should be getting to the 80% rate as much as possible. If you are concerned about your heart rate I suggest you invest in a polar heart rate monitor. Mine gives me a weekly update of how long and how many calories I burn. Wearing one makes me work harder because their is no guessing.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Remember that there is considerable individual variation in maximum heart rate. Your actual maximum heart rate may be significantly higher or lower than 220 minus age (which is based on population averages). Your target heart rate zones in percentages of maximum may also vary from the commonly given ranges.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
(male)

cubeus19 HB User

Say Cat3883, you don't have any health problems such as heart issues do you? A few months ago I was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia (or a high heart rate) and I have to take beta blockers for it, I was just wondering if you have ever been diagnosed with such things? If not, then maybe what I have isn't real life threatening. But anyway, thanks for your time.

Closed Thread