It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
(male)

JohnD999 HB User
Question Sore muscles - rest or work?

Hi, I'm a 53 year old, quite unfit with a sedentary job. I'm now on holiday and decided to go walking for 90 minutes a day. Mostly slow, flat, nothing very hilly. After 3 days I have points at the top of the muscles in the back of both legs that are stiff, sore and quite painful. My long term goal is to become fitter, so should I
(a) Take some long hot baths to relax the muscles, wait 2 days for the soreness to pass and walk for 30 minutes a day? or
(b) continue to walk - in the expectation that the soreness will diminish as the muscles become more used? or
(c) Something else?
I have received conflicting ideas and I am confused. Any inputs and suggestion will be most welcome.
Thanks.
John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Sore muscles - rest or work?

It's hard on your body to go from no activity to 90 minutes a day.

My recommendation- take a day of rest. Stretch the muscles in your legs. Cut back on your exercise amount and work your way back up to 90 minutes incrementally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
(male)

JohnD999 HB User

Thank you for this clarity. I'll take it more slowly and add stretching.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Remember to stretch after your walk, or a few minutes into your walk. Stretching cold muscles is not good.
I would wait until the soreness goes away and walk again, but for half as long and then see how your legs feel. You can add more time to your walks and see how that goes. There is nothing wrong with sore muscles, but they should not be worked while they are sore. They need time to repair.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
(male)

JohnD999 HB User

Sorry, I hadn't logged on. Thanks for your input, diamond 839.
I'm now trying to specifically stretch my hamstrings, and an ex-footballer has told me that they can be stretched without putting weight on them by lying on the floor. I'd like a <description> of how to do this. Many thanks.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-03-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Please do not ask for outside links.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

It's ok to take a day off. Heck, take 2. I agree 100% that increasing from nothing to 90 min/day is quite a bit. Walk and take days off until the soreness remains gone, even after walking.

Do NOT stretch your muscles cold. Walk first. Have you ever tried to stretch string cheese that's been in the refrigerator? Same with your muscles. Always, always walk briskly for 5-10 minutes before stretching. As a side note, back in college we'd run 15 minutes very slow before stretching. A LOT of injuries are generated when people stretch their muscles cold. More than you'd think.

Good job on your new excercise routine. You should be very proud of yourself. Take your time and keep up the good work.

Closed Thread