It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
(male)

orion8 HB User
best single exercise for middle age men

The best single exercise I have found for middle age men is high repetition pushups on pushups bars. Do not go fully down. Go down as far as your upper arm is about parallel to the floor. You can do 25 or more reps once you get used to it.Works pretty much the entire body.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: best single exercise for middle age men

Why do you need a pushup bar to do pushups, as opposed to doing pushups on the floor?

Pushups mainly work your chest muscles, with some triceps work. If you do a lot of pushups, they also work your abdominal core, since you are also doing the plank exercise if you do pushups for a long period of time.

But you may want to do pullups to do back muscles as well. Also, leg exercises like squats. For cardio training, exercises which include the legs are often more effective than upper body only exercises.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
(male)

orion8 HB User

Thanks for your reply.Pushups bars are easier on your wrists.In the real world just how many middle age men can do even one pull up.I do not think cardio training is really necessary.Many middle age men already have joint problems. Why compound them with cardio training.Most men I spoke to say cardio training is boring and give it up in less than a week. On 2nd thought, if working the biceps is a real concern, a middle aged man can buy a set of cables and do high rep curls.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-03-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion8 View Post
Thanks for your reply.Pushups bars are easier on your wrists.In the real world just how many middle age men can do even one pull up.
While it is true that many people cannot do a pullup, they can train up to a pullup by using a chair or platform to grab the pullup bar in the "up" position, then lowering as slowly as possible (this is called doing a negative pullup). Doing negative pullups will improve strength until one gets strong enough to do an actual pullup. If one goes to a gym, it may have an assisted pullup machine with counterweights so that you can pullup less than your body weight. This allows working up to a pullup by gradually reducing the counterweight until one can do a pullup with zero counterweight.

Other back exercises include weighted rows using cable weight machines, free weights, or resistance bands.

When you consider the high frequency of back problems, having weak back muscles is not something you really want to have.

Quote:
I do not think cardio training is really necessary.Many middle age men already have joint problems. Why compound them with cardio training.Most men I spoke to say cardio training is boring and give it up in less than a week.
Not all cardio is high impact. Swimming, elliptical, bicycling, and rowing are lower impact than running. Hiking a scenic hilly trail can give considerable cardio training while providing the view of some nice scenery. Also, some types of cardio training can be used for useful work (like commuting or going places).

Quote:
On 2nd thought, if working the biceps is a real concern, a middle aged man can buy a set of cables and do high rep curls.
Biceps are relatively small muscles, although many men seem to want to build them up for beach display. Biceps do tend to be incidentally worked when doing many back exercises like pullups and weighted rows.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
(male)

orion8 HB User

Thanks again for your answer. It appears you have quite a bit of experience with exercises, going to the gym etc. While what you say makes a lot of sense for someone who has the determination to go to a gym, what about middle age men who do not desire to go to a gym? They just want to get some exercise in their lives. Doing push ups in the way I described at home can get some type of exercise in their lives. I have read that muscle strength diminishes in middle age. As an aside regarding back exercises: The exercises you mention would seem to put further strain on a lower back that is already injured.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-03-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
While what you say makes a lot of sense for someone who has the determination to go to a gym, what about middle age men who do not desire to go to a gym? They just want to get some exercise in their lives.Doing push ups in the way I described at home can get some type of exercise in their lives.
A pullup bar that hangs in the doorway can be used to do pullups at home in order to balance out one's upper body muscle building between chest (pushups) and back (pullups). Body weight squats, working up to holding increasing weight objects and/or one legged squats can be used to add leg muscle training.

Of course, pushups or various kinds and abdominal core exercises require just a floor.

But the point is, someone who wants to get a good workout at home is not limited to pushups. He or she can get a balanced workout of all of his or her major muscle groups at home with minimal equipment, rather than an unbalanced workout of one particular exercise.

Quote:
I have read that muscle strength diminishes in middle age.
This is primarily as a result of not exercising. Middle age and older men and women who exercise can avoid much of the loss of muscle that those doing little or no exercise suffer.

Quote:
As an aside regarding back exercises: The exercises you mention would seem to put further strain on a lower back that is already injured.
One of the reasons to strengthen your back muscles is to make them strong to avoid serious injuries that can result in disability. Obviously, someone who is already injured needs to consult with his or her doctor to determine what kind of exercises he or she can do to maintain muscle strength without aggravating the injury.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
(male)

orion8 HB User

Thank you. < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-04-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as real name and/or email.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
(male)

dewet HB User

I used to play squash competetively and run on the beach for fitness. At age 49 I developed my own strength training program which I do at home 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I have never felt better nor have I ever seen better results in terms of weight loss and muscle gain. I also suffer from lower back pain and do not like going to gym. I have been doing his program in 6 week stints for almoat two years now. and I strongly recommend a weight training program. I prefer dumb bells so I can increase the weight as I improve, and using dumb bells also works your core the hardest when you try to retain form. At almost 51 I feel like 30 again, and my wife will back me up

Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
(male)

orion8 HB User

I should have said I consider middle age for men to be those above 60 years of age.The previous poster at the age of almost 51 is still a young man.

Last edited by orion8; 10-06-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Adding comment

Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
(male)

dewet HB User

I am impressed - middle aged at 60 means you plan to live to 120 Jokes aside I think the principle applies - with weight trining you can work out at home, dumb bells are inexpensive and if you get an adjustable set you can start off slowly with light weights that suit your fitness level, then increase as you go along.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
(female)

annstar HB User

SWimming is one of the best exercises as it works almost every muscle. Plus you get to chill out and destress in the sauna after

Closed Thread