It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

jmgirly HB User
Exclamation Why won't my legs tone up?

I'm dieting and working out (and losing weight) and yet my gross thighs are still as jiggly as ever. As far as working out goes I've been doing cardio and circuit training weights. For cardio I've been biking for an hour at around 100+rpms. For circuit trainig I've been doing leg curls, leg extensions, seated leg press (70 pounds), hip abduction and hip adduction. I've been doing em all on a pretty low weight but 3 sets of 20 reps
What am I doing wrong?!?

(Please take into consideration that I do not want to bulk up legs at all!!! I just want to tone up what's already there. I have pretty darn nice legs that are slim but not to slim. They look great if I'm not waking lol...also I think i may have cellulite which I hate. The largest portion of my thigh is 21 inches and my legs are exactly 38 inches long so please take that into consideration.

Also, i am very knowledgeable about nutrition and my diet is working just fine. It's the exercise I'm worried about)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: Why won't my legs tone up?

Well, I was going to suggest that your diet isn't good, but if you feel that it is, just keep doing what you're doing. Your thighs may be the last place your body will eliminate extra body fat from. I run 40 miles a week, and still have some jiggle. It's just the way it is, sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Remember that "spot reduction" is not effective in any practical sense. Exercising muscles does not preferentially reduce nearby fat. Try to do a balanced workout leading to fat loss and/or muscle gain. Note that accidentally "bulking up" is rarely a problem for men (actually a lot of men try to "bulk up" but don't) and even less likely for women.

A balanced workout will include chest (pushups, dips, bench press), back (pullups, rows), and core (crunches and such) as well as legs (squats, etc.). For greater strength gains, try heavier weights (for which you can do 8-12 reps at a time, increasing weight when doing 12 reps is easy). If you are doing cardio in the gym, you may want to consider full body cardio like rowing or swimming if available.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Have you reached your weight loss goal? It seems like you still may have a ways to go, and that your legs may be the last place you lose from. I would also incorporate squats and lunges. Also I would suggest that you get on the treadmill and put it on an incline. That is a great lower body workout as long as you keep challenging yourself with the degrees of incline.
Machines are okay for building the larger muscle groups, but if you incorporate some other lower body resistance moves you will see results faster.
Make sure you rest, and only do your lower body every other workout/day in order for your muscles to heal.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgirly View Post
What am I doing wrong?!?
You might not be doing anything wrong, it might just take time. Although, I suppose there are many who have been working out for years and are still not satisfied. Doing a balanced workout, as was suggested, is about all you can do.

Consider the fact that everyone is different and there are many different body types. People can make improvements but no one can completely change their body type. Just take satisfaction in knowing that you're moving in a healthy direction and stick with it.

Closed Thread