It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

juliabar HB User
swelling behind the knee

two and a half weeks ago i was stretching after some down time after surgery. I did not warm up and think i overstretched because the next day my left leg was sore and i had swelling behind my knee...no redness or bad pain and i can walk on it normal...just pain above the swelling in the hamstring and entire leg aches. a week ago was the worst of the pain...went to dr and they sent me for a doppler to rule out blood clot...it was negative...so put me on naproxen and muscle relaxer. It has been a week since and the pain is better and the swelling goes down with rest and when i walk a lot by the end of the day it is swollen again. also....the swelling area and pain above my knee is not painful to touch....no tender area....just hurst when i move certain ways or am on my feet lots...... my question is is what is causing this.....overexteded muscle, torn cartilage, bakers cyst? i am worried but the swelling goes away with rest...any advice would be helpful and thanks!!

Last edited by juliabar; 01-24-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: new information

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: swelling behind the knee

Sounds typical of a Baker's Cyst.

A Baker's Cyst is actually a bursa behind the knee that helps to provide lubrication to the joint and the tendons around the back of the knee. When the knee starts to develop arthritis, the inflammation produces excess fluid and tiny bits of cartilage floating in the fluid. It ends up being swept into that bursa and then it becomes swollen and painful. It basically is the garbage can for the knee joint.

What can you do about it? Not much except start being aware that your knee is in the early stages of OA. The kinder you treat that knee, the better the Baker's Cyst will be. It is your barometer to how well or how badly your knee is doing. You can try ice on it and take some ibuprofen or naproxen for the pain but it is telling you that your knee is aging. Exercises to strengthen the leg muscles will help to take some of the stress of walking off the knee.

Good luck..................Jenny(14 knee surgeries and counting)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
(female)

Trica HB User
Re: swelling behind the knee

I have the same problem with my knee. I'm 62 and do a combination of weights/cardio 3 times a week, hour each time. Lost job a month ago got depressed & quit walking 3miles a day & trying to get motivated again. All I want to do is eat & be a couch potato. What can I do? I need to lose another 30lbs. & get firm & stay strong.

Closed Thread