It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Why do I get sick after starting exercise program?

In the past year, I've tried to start the P90X exercise program four times. And, each time I try to start it, I get sick within a week of starting.

I thought exercise was supposed to increase immunity, but in my case it seems to decrease my immunity.

I really, really want to do this program and I think it's a really well thought out program. I just can't seem to stop getting sick when I go to do it.

Any thoughts? I even modified it so that instead of doing it every day I was only doing it every other day. I do other forms of exercise with out getting sick- I do resistance training at the gym, and outdoors activities on the weekends, but just can't seem to get past this issue on starting this P90X program.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Why do I get sick after starting exercise program?

Sorry to hear your troubles! That can really take the wind out of your sails. I've had the same problem in the past. I can't comment on what the P90X consists of or what it is (I'm assuming you'll give a briefing on that) but I do know from past experience that if I change the intensity of my workouts and/or types of workouts I have gotten ill. The problem is that the immune system is actually temporarily weakened for a short duration (I've heard different time frames, but anywhere for 12-36 hours) and if you have a virus at the time, the workout will actually supress your immune system before strengthening. Back in college if I did a really hard running workout, the next day I felt great and would try to do too much. It was only after 2 days later that I would feel the debilitating effects of a hard workout. In other words, the immune system needs stressed and rested before it strengthens, a lot like weight lifting.

Now what might not make sense to you is the fact that you have obviously done workouts in the past, so is this particular program any more stressful than your other workouts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Thanks for the response.

P90X is a video program but an intense one that involves muscle confusion and a different workout 6 days a week (with a one day rest day), one hour long. The one that seems to cause me to get sick is the plyometrics program- it's by far the hardest one. So far anyway.

Your theory seems to match what's happening with me. Perhaps the Plyo program is stressing my immune system. I guess my question is...do I give up on the program or do I just keep trying it until my body gets used to the higher level of intensity? This was my fourth attempt and I'm getting really frustrated that I can't seem to get past this.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

My advice would be to not give up. I would get the basics of the workout, like getting a good idea of what the workout is and what the exercises are trying to accomplish. Then take that knowledge and make your own workout. Cut down the duration of each exercise especially, and abbreviate as much as you can. Then gradually work your way up until you can do the workout in full.

I can only comment on examples of workouts I have personally done, but here's a for instance. The workout would be to set a goal 5k pace, for a running race. Then, you would typically run six 1000 meter repeats at that goal pace, with a 3 min jog recovery jog between each one. Since I couldn't do this workout at first, I'd start with 3 and build up over successive weeks. OR, you can do 6 but vary the duration, such as running six 600 meter repeats and gradually lengthen each one until they are all 1000 meters.

You can apply this adaptation approach to just about any workout regimine or program. In fact, this approach is recommended versus just trying the full program right off the bat.

It can be tricky and take some experimentation and even creativity, but think of a way that you can do less now in anticipation that you can one day do the full workout free of problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdrunner79 For This Useful Post:
EagleRiverDee (02-01-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi the doctor I know about recommends exercises only to tolerance. A brisk walk might be better. Weight lifting I would not recommend for anyone unless it is no more than a couple pounds because it may cause heart valve damage.

One well respected author says people can overwork and this does not contribute to health.

Closed Thread