It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

smellofsummer HB User
Red face I'm scared to get huge muscles

I've recently gotten a gym membership and I'm scared that instead of losing weight my muscles will just get better and then I will seem bigger than I really am? What can I do to prevent that?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I'm scared to get huge muscles

Cut calories at the same time, and focus on cardio and core exercises.

And for women, it's actually pretty hard to bulk up. Only place I've ever seen it happen is the thighs, especially the adductors and abductors (inner and outer thigh muscles).

The one time it happened to me, I just cut back on the heavy weight leg exercises, and 2 weeks later my thighs weren't so bulky any more.

Believe me, most women exercisers wish it was easy to put on muscle! We have to really work for every ounce.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Even men with all of their testosterone have to work very hard to get huge muscles. Women are even less likely to accidentally get huge.

Muscle is pretty dense, so you can get significantly stronger without getting that much bigger (though the stronger muscles will be heavier than weaker muscles). The stronger muscles will burn more calories even at rest, which can help lose fat. Be sure to include the large muscles of chest, back, and legs in your workouts for best results.

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-14-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI instead of paying money to get scared I would take a walk in the park with birds, flowers and trees. In my opinion and that of some health professionals weight lifting can damage the heart valves. A valve is not a thick muscle capable of lifting hundreds of pounds and also muscles in peoples shoulders etc. can be ripped.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (06-26-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Highly unlikely.
As others have said, it takes testosterone to develop large bulky muscles; most women you see with them (like female weightlifters) probably use steroids.
Heck, even most male athletes with big bulky muscles probably use steroids.
I exercise regularly, and I've never developed bulky muscles. Exercise simply makes you look more firm.
My arms and legs are sort of sinewy, I guess you could say; like when I flex, the muscles stand out like ropes.
But they still don't make me look larger or bulkier. These are long, thin muscles.
My arms and legs still look slim.
And my torso doesn't have much muscle at all, despite all my exercise. I don't really focus much on core work, like working out my abs, because I kind of hate it. I never found an ab workout that was actually fun.

Anyway, no. I can say with assurance that you won't grow big manly-looking muscles.
You'd basically have to quit your job and devote 12 hours of each day to hardcore weightlifting in order to do that.

Good luck with the exercise.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
(female)

AthleteGirl HB User

I agree with what everyone else told you. A girl lifting weights will not develop big ugly guy-muscles. Your muscles may grow some but it will only serve to make you shapely. Girls look like girls because of their hormones, not because they don't work out! The better shape you are in the better you will look.

The Following User Says Thank You to AthleteGirl For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
(female)

cabby123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellofsummer View Post
I've recently gotten a gym membership and I'm scared that instead of losing weight my muscles will just get better and then I will seem bigger than I really am? What can I do to prevent that?
It's possible with the wrong program, however, it would not be irreversible, nor would it be instantaneous. You would notice a gradual increase in size and at that point you would know to change your training program. This is not something you should fear.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Nearly everything the others have said is true, if only it were that easy to bulk up with muscle. What we want as lifters is strength and power. And what is the fastest way to do this? Compound exercises, not standing there in the gym dressed in lycra like many folk and flexing biceps with a 5 llb weight or doing useless crunches. Many trainers in gyms are pretty clueless so you should make sure you have your compound exercise program ready to go and they can hopefully correct any bad lifting techniques you have when you perform your 'dumbell one point row'. In order to prepare yourself go out and buy, " The New Rules of Lifting for Women "
"LIFT LIKE A MAN, LOOK LIKE A GODDESS". As well as fitness it will help you with eating habits for a lifter. The author is Lou Schuler. About $16.00
So forget the words bulk, tone and skulpting, just get strong. Review "New Rules" on GOOGLE and see what you think.
Good luck
James

Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
(male)

Eliochacon HB User

Quote:
It takes years of hard work to get big muscles of the type you see on competetive body builders. One important thing to remember is that muscle tissue burns calories at a higher rate than fatty tissue so as your level of fitness increases your body will burn calories at a higher rate. Good luck

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
(male)

Nelliel HB User

Eat at maintenance level. If you're looking to lose weight, slightly reduce your calories. If you want to gain a little bit of muscle, slightly raise your calories for a few weeks - 1 month.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

The other posters shared great advice on this. The first reply from janewhite1 said exactly what I was going to say! I typically try to do a lot of cardio and regularly mix it up to keep my body challenged. If you do the same workout every day, it just won't work as well. I see them ladies who do the same walk every time I see them, and I wish I could share some advice with them on why they aren't losing weight. Diet definitely plays a big part. I also find that when I'm lifting weights more often, I look slimmer! Instead of getting bulky, I tend to just feel firmer and tighter. I used to only use 5-10 pound weights, but I now use machines and regularly try to lift heavier and find that it only helps me get tighter and slimmer, not BIGGER. If anything, I did feel that my legs were slightly bigger when I first started running a lot. This went away after the first week! I don't run anymore (just temporarily) due to a neck problem, but I really enjoyed the results I got from it in the past. I typically would alternate running with other workouts though, because I started to wear down the cartilage in my knees!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
(male)

Onlinetrainer HB User

Do not be afraid to do weights they are the most important part of your training if you want to change the shape of your body losing body fat and toning up. You will not bulk up its extremely hard for a female to bulk up as they dont have the testosterone that men do. Also concentrate on your diet its just as if not more important than your training. High protein moderate to low carbs low saturated fats and plenty of good fats eg almonds , avocado etc

Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
(male)

biggee HB User

don't worry, lift weights, don't overdo yourself, but you won't get huge muscles as a woman, unless you train extremely hard, lift very heavy, take steroids and growth hormone... most that can happen is that you develop somewhat more muscular legs, not bodybuilder legs, just, in shape...

i've been lifting weights for three years in bodybuilding gyms, I never saw a regular woman that had huge muscles...

Closed Thread