It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
(female)

graces23 HB User
How to do foot/calf raises properly?

My calves have always been a problem for me. I'm a slim girl but have had sort of thick-looking calves and ankles all my life.

I started doing calf raises last night, where you stand up with feet shoulder width apart, and just lift yourself up on your feet so you're standing on tip toes, hold it, then lower down in a controlled fashion.

I intended to do 20, but after about 10 my feet really hurt. Each raise, even right from the very first one, really hurt my feet! Is this supposed to happen? I wasn't wearing any shoes and was doing it on carpet at home.

Each time I raised up, my feet bones would crack slightly and the feet felt very "flat" and like there was too much pressure on them. My ankles also ached afterwards.

The next morning I had absolutely NO pain or discomfort in my calves or legs, but my ankles ached.

Am I doing these wrong? How hard can it be to go up on your tip toes!!!? lol

Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How to do foot/calf raises properly?

If you have flat feet or another ankle problem, it could be hard. Don't keep doing an exercise that hurts you, you could be causing real damage. In fact, you might want to get it checked by a doctor if the pain continues. You should be able to stand on your toes.

What I do is stand on a step (the bottom step!) with my toes on the step and my heels in the air. I drop my heels down and then push my feet back up to level, with a hand on the railing for balance.

By the way, doing calf raises will make your calves bigger, not smaller. Maybe a thicker calf muscle will make your ankles look slimmer, but nothing is going to make them smaller.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

graces23 HB User

Darn it! lol. I've never liked my calves. They kind of look like Mischa Barton's. I've noticed certain people just seem to have calves that look longer...like instead of having the defined part of the calf and then a slimmer bit that goes into the ankle, my calves go into their slimmer bit lower down than other people.

I think I should wear sneakers and do the calf raises on a step. I think that'd be better. My feet are definitely not flat, but they've got very high arches and so I don't have a lot of support in the foot since a lot of it is the arch.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

High arches? Then definitely do all your leg exercise in sneakers that support your arch well. Insoles may be helpful, and someone who works in a specialty shoe store might help you pick out the best sneaker/arch support for you.

The thick part of your calf goes lower down. Hmm. It could be your calf muscles are just shaped a little differently, or it could be they are underdeveloped. Feel the muscle as you push your foot down. That's the muscle that makes the curve in most people's calves. See where it tapers.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
(female)

graces23 HB User

I found a pic of the calves I have. Mischa Barton's calves. Here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAAxmisc.jpg (42.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by moderator2; 02-26-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
(female)

Jenneese HB User

Dear, I have the exact same problem. I'm slim but not my ankle. I've been doing calf raising exercise as well but I stopped recently because it makes my calf looks bigger. I want to slim my ankle instead (but it sounds ridiculous).

Any advice?

Closed Thread