It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
(male)

mottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB User
How effective is inline skating compared to running?

I recently purchased my first pair of inline skates! Love em! I haven't been out with them yet because it's still a bit on the cold side in this city. I was planning to do a lot of running this spring, summer and fall but I'm wondering if that would be overkill if I'll be skating also.

It seems to me skating would be far less of a workout because the skates are doing so much of the work for you. What do you all think?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: How effective is inline skating compared to running?

I think inline skating is a great way to exercise. You will get your heart rate up and is great for toning your legs. The only disadvantage I see compared to running is that you can run anywhere over different types of terrain. The skates are going to limit you in that respect. If you have a nice long bike path nearby that would be ideal for you.
Also I do not see why you cannot do both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
(male)

No, you're absolutely right. It was a case of not thinking enough to edit before submitting. Of course both can be done. I don't need to do both on the same days, or alternate day after day. But choosing one or the other on days when I'm looking to get a cardio workout would be perfectly fine. *smacks self* lol. Thanks for the response.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi well there can be injuries such as broken bones etc. with skates because of a fall from loss of balance, inability to stop for something like a tree, person, animal, car etc. Ankles might be twisted. Blisters can be gotten inside the skates. Running may also cause some difficulties with joints, such as feet, and knees later. That is why a brisk walk can be a healthy preference, in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
(male)

^I'm going to get my safety gear soon. I'll be careful but brave as usual. I'm very excited about this.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I am curious about how a skater like this comes to a stop?
I think it is really healthy to be able to stop if a car is coming!

Last edited by sjb; 03-15-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottled dove View Post
^I'm going to get my safety gear soon. I'll be careful but brave as usual. I'm very excited about this.
Let us know how it works out. Where I live in central FL there's a inline skating club and it looks like fun. If you like it enough, you might think about starting your own club. We have miles and miles of paved pathways for everything (other than cars or motorcycles). Even so, they still need to be careful of others on golf carts, bicycles or runners and walkers.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-15-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi I am curious about how a skater like this comes to a stop?
I think it is really healthy to be able to stop if a car is coming!
Heh. Absolutely! I'll be skating along the lake front trail where there are no cars. Just walkers, runners, bikers, and skaters. It's a really nice, looooong trail along Lake Michigan.

I haven't started yet because it's still cool out (46 today), but when we consistently get in the 70s or higher, I'll be out there on early mornings.

I have my safety gear... really not a fan of the helmet. I would rather not wear it.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi well I am not familiar with that trail are there any large rocks one might skate into or trees? Can you swim?

Hopefully no other person would get upset or injured and not retaliate in any manner if anything happens.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Quote:
Heh. Absolutely! I'll be skating along the lake front trail where there are no cars. Just walkers, runners, bikers, and skaters. It's a really nice, looooong trail along Lake Michigan.

I haven't started yet because it's still cool out (46 today), but when we consistently get in the 70s or higher, I'll be out there on early mornings.

I have my safety gear... really not a fan of the helmet. I would rather not wear it.

The most important safety gear is the helmet. You can recover from a broken bone but you usually cannot recover from brain damage.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi well I am not familiar with that trail are there any large rocks one might skate into or trees? Can you swim?

Hopefully no other person would get upset or injured and not retaliate in any manner if anything happens.
Haha!
If you're interested, you can google "lakefront trail chicago pictures" to get an idea of how SOME of the trail looks. I wish I'd taken my camera with me about two mornings ago when I walked to the lake. It was drizzling and misty, and I saw something that I really wanted to shoot. I think it would have made for a great photo and would have captured a side of the trail that's not depicted in the resulting photos from running that google search I suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond839 View Post
The most important safety gear is the helmet. You can recover from a broken bone but you usually cannot recover from brain damage.
I understand, and I'll have to remind myself of this when fighting the temptation to just wear I nice looking hat instead.

Last edited by mottled dove; 04-17-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
(male)

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!
Early this morning!
I traveled a great distance in what I believe was less than 45 minutes of skating. "You went from there to there?!?!?!" is the kind of reaction I've been getting so far. First time getting out and skating on inlines. Novice. But ZERO falls!!! The track is wack for skaters. Too cracky. Too much of a bumpy ride at times. There were some very smooth moments, including one of the most "holy ****" rides I've had since the last time I got on a rollercoaster. Folks. I got on this downward slope that sort of curled around under a tunnel where there were incoming pedestrians. The speed was insane! Had I fallen, I would have been in serious trouble. I flew right by those people with a calm and cool look. No fear, baby. NO FEAR! I had on all of my safety gear, nevertheless...

Beautiful stuff! People were out there running, walking, riding, skating. I took a few photos just so I could show folks PROOF of just how far I'd gone. In my ears, I had some techno/drum and bass pumping. Anything from Tetrisphere and P.n.03 (videogame music) to Photek (Cover Meeeeeeeeeee and more) to some 45 min Technical Itch mix I got from somewhere.

The legs got a really intense work out and yes the heart was pumping. I felt like my butt was feeling it a bit too, so good stuff. Greatest thing I've done in a long time.

One thing I need to work on is using the brake. I don't know why, but I didn't feel as comfortable with that method as doing 360s or 720s, or just skating into the grass. I'll get there though.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
I flew right by those people with a calm and cool look. No fear, baby. NO FEAR!
That reminds me of those famous last words: "WATCH THIS!!!!" LOL

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Hi one kid was on a bike going downhill without his hands on the handlebar because he wanted to be a showoff. He had his chin up in the air and he did not notice the brick that was in the path of the bicycle and the bicycle hit it and dumped him promptly on the ground! He hurt himself bad.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
(male)

Lol! You're certain his main agenda was to be a showoff? I haven't ridden a bike in many ages but when I was riding, riding with no hands was habitual. It certainly wasn't to show off. 99% of the time, I wasn't aware an audience existed.

Closed Thread