It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

cyclist1 HB User
Bladder control after hard exercise

Hello everyone,

I'm a keen cyclist in my early 30s (male) and have a bladder control issue.

As I need to drink a lot of fluids to keep me hydrated, especially after a hard workout, I inevitably need to empty my bladder. The problem is it means having to get up throughout the night quite a bit (sometimes 3-4 times).

This may seem normal to a lot of people, but last night I experienced an embarrasing situation. can you see where this is going? Yes, I failed to wake up, until I realised I was in a wet patch

I'm wondering is this more of a bladder control problem, or is it the fact i'm over-tired and it takes a lot to actually wake me up.

I have been tired in general due to increasing my exercise and also doing some DIY after work (last night until around 11pm). So basically I did about 40 miles cycling (too and from work) then started on the DIY. Thankfully the DIY is almost over, for now...

Its not something I want speak to someone about in person for obvious reasons, so thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance for your help. Must dash i'm off to the loo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Bladder control after hard exercise

Hi in my opinion the bicycle is a bit hard on the prostate especially for later. A male urologist would be very appropriate for things like this. I heard sometimes infection can cause incontinence later in life. Is the stream cloudy or clear?
Most water might be better taken in the morning and throughout the day. If one cup is taken about 30 minutes before bedtime it might be ready to go by bedtime. I would try to go just before sleep. If that is too much 1/2 cup 30 minutes before bed might be more appropriate. For 200 pound male who exercises a bit more than 12 cups of water may be needed especially through spring and summer. Hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
(male)

cyclist1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi in my opinion the bicycle is a bit hard on the prostate especially for later. A male urologist would be very appropriate for things like this. I heard sometimes infection can cause incontinence later in life. Is the stream cloudy or clear?
Most water might be better taken in the morning and throughout the day. If one cup is taken about 30 minutes before bedtime it might be ready to go by bedtime. I would try to go just before sleep. If that is too much 1/2 cup 30 minutes before bed might be more appropriate. For 200 pound male who exercises a bit more than 12 cups of water may be needed especially through spring and summer. Hope this helps. Have a nice day!
Hello and thanks for your reply.

I agree, cycling is a bit harsh for this area, but I enjoy it too much to give up.

As for the stream, its generally clear, unless i'm dehydrated.

Good idea about drinking plenty in the morning and throughout the day rather than on the night. Problem is, sometimes I don't finish my ride home from work until about 7-8 (in the summer anyway), so I have to drink quite late.

Thankfully the accident has only happened once so i'm trying not to think about it too much, but i'm definately cutting down drinking later in the day.

One other question... is it a good idea to "hold it in" for a while before going, or should I go as soon as I think I can... I always thought holding it in would help strangthen the muscles, but I heard from someone that it can do more harm than good... what do you think?

Thanks again

Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi well I am of the opinion that if nature gives the urge its time. That is unless the capacity is extremely small like 1/4 cup or something. Then holding it might increase capacity. Sometimes the prostate aught to checked in case it is too large. If cloudiness is present there might be a tinge of urinary tract infection also urinalysis and culture and sensitity might help figure that out.

Closed Thread