It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User
seated elliptical

I was just thinking that "excercise" would be a good suggestion for a new board, and look, it's already here and full to the gills with posts!

I have been wondering for some time now if a seated elliptical is a good way to get in a workout. I have a job where I am on my feet for twelve hours a day and the thought of excercising, increasing my fitness level, getting my heart rate going, losing weight, etc while seated is very appealing, because sometimes my legs hurt badly after work. I have done online searches to gather the opinions from "regular people" and have not found much. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: seated elliptical

Recumbant lifecycles are good for that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Make sure that your heart rate is in fact up, you're sweating, etc. If it's really "effortless" like those TV commercials say, it isn't exercise!

If you want to try out exercise equipment for free or cheap, find a gym near you and ask about a one-week trial. Then you can decide whether to buy a particular piece of equipment for your home or join the gym.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
sjb (04-14-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Make sure that your heart rate is in fact up, you're sweating, etc. If it's really "effortless" like those TV commercials say, it isn't exercise!

If you want to try out exercise equipment for free or cheap, find a gym near you and ask about a one-week trial. Then you can decide whether to buy a particular piece of equipment for your home or join the gym.

Great idea about a trial at a gym. That way you can really get to know the equipment and what you like. But please take into consideration that any form of elliptical or bike, recumbent or not, you are going to use your legs. You will feel it there first. But the good news is you can get your legs in shape and standing for your job will be much easier. In fact it would be a great idea to incorporate some leg exercises as well. Squats, lunges and leg lifts along with some core work will really improve your stamina at work.

Last edited by diamond839; 04-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you for the ideas! I have been thinking too of a gym membership but am kind of hesitant to go. The thought of walking into a gym is kind of frightening to me because I feel self-conscious. But quite frankly I would have all kinds of equipment to try to see what I like so it is a good idea. The other day I drove up to snap fitness and kind of looked in the window and got the brochure from outside the door. Baby steps.

It would be really great to get more stamina for my job. And maybe more stamina for when I'm not on the job! Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinemeadow View Post
Thank you for the ideas! I have been thinking too of a gym membership but am kind of hesitant to go. The thought of walking into a gym is kind of frightening to me because I feel self-conscious. But quite frankly I would have all kinds of equipment to try to see what I like so it is a good idea. The other day I drove up to snap fitness and kind of looked in the window and got the brochure from outside the door. Baby steps.

It would be really great to get more stamina for my job. And maybe more stamina for when I'm not on the job! Thanks again.
I think everyone feels intimated by gyms in the beginning. But know this, no one cares what you are doing. Everyone is focused on themselves. Gyms can be very friendly and encouraging places if its a good one. If you go back to this gym go inside and see if you can talk to some of the trainers, or other staff, not just the person who would sign you up. Look around at the people working out. Are there people of all ages and sizes? If so then then you will be more at ease. I love my gym and I look forward to going there. It has a great mix of people and everyone is so friendly. But I will admit when I first joined it was intimidating. But I just shut everyone out and worked on myself. Once I looked around I realized we are all there for the same reasons.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi some exercise machines can place stresses on knees or other joints in strange places and I simply suggest a brisk walk for exercise since we were made for that.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

hi,

loved the encouraging post about going to a gym. Thanks much.

sjb, can you tell me specifically which excercise machines are stressful on the knees? The last thing I need to do is mess up my knees. Also, I do walk in addition to being on my feet on the job 12 hours a day due to my dog. On off days I walk him 1.5 to 2 miles. On the days I work after I get off we walk for 0.5 to 1 mile. I am on my feet so much that I want other excercise options off of my feet.

thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I cannot remember their names. A bicycle type one we had was probably a bit hard on the prostate of a male member. One standing machine went back and forth a bit from side to side and might not have been what one calls an elliptical at all. It was done standing. Many machines it seems require some knee work I would be careful with most and read all inserts and find out what injuries are possible before spending any money at all. It seems to me it would be good to just walk outside when weather is good and surfaces are decent. When weather is bad one might just walk in place in the house with legs up and down, its free and probably much less likely to cause a problem with joints or falling or any other injury, in my opinion.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
(female)

SkyBlue99 HB User
Lightbulb Re: seated elliptical

Seated pilates - You might want to look into that.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
(female)

helias HB Userhelias HB User

Well, I think a seated elliptical is a great idea. That way you can stay in your comfort zone and still get in some exercise! I would think about working up to a standing one though, just so you can push yourself a little more. You want to make sure your hamstrings are okay.

Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-11-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Closed Thread