It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
(male)

starling80 HB User
Right Knee/Leg Pain - Rest or Worry?

I've been exercising 6-7 days per week for nearly 2 years now (lost 120lbs in the process!) and in February, I started jogging outdoors for the first time whenever the weather was nice enough, 2-3 times per month. Now that the weather's nice enough all of the time, I'm hitting the pavement 3-4 miles, 6 days a week, and have been doing so for 2-3 weeks since my elliptical developed an extremely annoying squeak.

Yesterday, on my 4 mile run, I started to develop pain in the knee region of my right leg. I say "knee region" because it doesn't hurt around the kneecap or behind my knee, but on the outside of the knee between the calf and thigh. I ran through it, but once I completed my after run stretches, I noticed that it really had started to stiffen up and hurt, causing me to limp a little.

This morning, while the general ache was gone and it no longer hurt to walk, it really hurts to walk DOWN steps! To the point where after 4-5 steps I want to stop and rest. I see no swelling or redness and when I'm just sitting in a chair there's no pain, but extending my leg creates very minor stiffness and the motion of walking down steps is progressively worse, the more stairs/steps I take.

Does this sound "normal" and I just need to give it a few days rest to see how it responds or should I be making a doctor's appointment forthwith to get it checked out? I'm a bit obsessive about cardio exercise, so I can see myself overdoing it and trying to go for a fast walk or slow jog tonight and making it worse...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: Right Knee/Leg Pain - Rest or Worry?

I think you need to wait it out. It is probably not serious, but if you work it and it is not healed it will get worse.
It is very hard to sit out exercise when you are committed to it, but a short term rest from it is much better than a long term rest due to an injury.

Closed Thread