It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

my2luvs HB User
Unhappy Exercise and saggy, crepey skin...

I'm 58 years old and my batwings and crepey skin on my arms and top of my legs are making me look a lot older than I feel. If I walk an hour a day, do yoga and pilates, and some strength exercises, would that hopefully strengthen the muscles under the skin and, in turn, smooth out the skin and do away with the batwings, or am I stuck with that regardless what I do because it's a natural part of aging? If there is something that can be done about that, other than surgery, I would appreciate knowing what it is I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Exercise and saggy, crepey skin...

Definitely exercise will tighten your body, and it will probably help with loose, saggy arms. (Tricep exercises are the best thing for arm appearance.)

It won't make your skin look like it did when you were 15, but it will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi a relative of mine said that after weight loss it is common to have saggy skin for a while but that if people are patient with time this goes away. Even if it does not, it is not worth the risks of infection, clots, heart attacks or stroke risk with attendant potential loss of the use of an arm or leg from surgery just to look cosmetically better in my opinion. Most people eventually look wrinkled anyway. We do not expect the 80 year old to look like the newborn.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

I am afraid once you hit a certain age the saggy skin is here to stay unless you opt for plastic surgery. You can have toned arms and legs, but extra skin has no place to go. I have really toned, defined arms, but due to my age and the fact that I was overweight at one point I have a little extra skin that aint going nowhere. It drives me nuts but there is nothing I can do regarding diet or exercise. I am trim, healthy and toned, but I am 49. Age is cruel.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
(female)

msdenise HB User

i'm female, almost 65, and have been exercising for nearly 30 years. at this point in my life, i take spin classes, lift weights every other day, and do cardio. i think the saggy skin and cellulite on my thighs is sadly a part of the aging process. i've even upped the weights i use but i don't see any dramatic change. i have never been overweight. am working now on accepting who i am and realizing i will never look like i did at 30...but want to be able to exercise and stay somewhat healthy for many more years.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi many of those who use weights to exercise may find a heart valve problem later in life. The valve is not the same as the outer thicker muscle. Brisk walking is the best exercise for cardiovascular health.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi many of those who use weights to exercise may find a heart valve problem later in life. The valve is not the same as the outer thicker muscle. Brisk walking is the best exercise for cardiovascular health.
After researching this its only a risk for those that do intense heavy lifting.

Last edited by diamond839; 05-11-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi of course people need to lift the baby and the groceries I am not talking about that kind of weight or lifting. I am talking about the gymn where many people are tempted to see if they can do the next weight higher and end up overdoing or if they breathe wrong, it probably takes only about one wrong move or breath to do it. One fellow did it drunk and wrong and wrecked his valve that way. Medications might also mess up the thought process just enough so that if the gymn was done while on them the valve might be messed up.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Hi of course people need to lift the baby and the groceries I am not talking about that kind of weight or lifting. I am talking about the gymn where many people are tempted to see if they can do the next weight higher and end up overdoing or if they breathe wrong, it probably takes only about one wrong move or breath to do it. One fellow did it drunk and wrong and wrecked his valve that way. Medications might also mess up the thought process just enough so that if the gymn was done while on them the valve might be messed up.

What I had read it was only a real danger for those that do intense lifting. Can you site your sources with the information?
Weight lifting is a great way to tone ones body, make strong bones, and keep physically fit.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi in some places on the net the people have said their cardiologist told them not to. There are other places that associate heart valve prolapse with weight lifting. If a person really thinks about it the valve is only a thin peice of tissue. It is not thick like the heart muscle. When intra-abdominal pressure increases with the tightness of the abdominal muscles and there is a lot of weight, the pressure can cause the blood to backflow the wrong direction to the heart and make the potential for the valve to bulge in the wrong directions with blood flow.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Hi in some places on the net the people have said their cardiologist told them not to. There are other places that associate heart valve prolapse with weight lifting. If a person really thinks about it the valve is only a thin peice of tissue. It is not thick like the heart muscle. When intra-abdominal pressure increases with the tightness of the abdominal muscles and there is a lot of weight, the pressure can cause the blood to backflow the wrong direction to the heart and make the potential for the valve to bulge in the wrong directions with blood flow.
Well I would not recommend that people NOT lift weights, but I would say no one should lift them if they do not know how to do it correctly. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have very poor form and really do not know what they are doing and I think these people could be at risk for what you are talking about. But for a healthy person who uses proper form when lifting I still think it is an excellent way to exercise and really benefits the body in so many ways.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2luvs View Post
I'm 58 years old and my batwings and crepey skin on my arms and top of my legs are making me look a lot older than I feel. If I walk an hour a day, do yoga and pilates, and some strength exercises, would that hopefully strengthen the muscles under the skin and, in turn, smooth out the skin and do away with the batwings, or am I stuck with that regardless what I do because it's a natural part of aging? If there is something that can be done about that, other than surgery, I would appreciate knowing what it is I can do.

Thanks in advance.
It is easy to avoid crepey skin, dont go out in the sun, eat your vegetables, no smoking and most important of all, pick your parents and grandparents. I am much older than the average here but my skin is perfect and taught with hardly a blemish. I also lie at times!
James

Last edited by james079; 05-14-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: misspell

Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
It is easy to avoid crepey skin, dont go out in the sun, eat your vegetables, no smoking and most important of all, pick your parents and grandparents. I am much older than the average here but my skin is perfect and taught with hardly a blemish. I also lie at times!
James
Must be nice to have good genes. Also men do not suffer the same as women who have a natural fat layer, whereas men do not. When we age the fat layer goes away and the result is saggy skin. I do however agree with the sun and smoking. Those two things will age you faster than anything.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=sjb;4754606]Hi in some places on the net the people have said their cardiologist told them not to. There are other places that associate heart valve prolapse with weight lifting. If a person really thinks about it the valve is only a thin peice of tissue. It is not thick like the heart muscle. When intra-abdominal pressure increases with the tightness of the abdominal muscles and there is a lot of weight, the pressure can cause the blood to backflow the wrong direction to the heart and make the potential for the valve to bulge in the wrong directions with blood flow. [/QUOTE\

sjb, you are right, it is all about the breathing. Anyone who has been in a gym and watched the lifter, red in the face, his neck veins like ropes impressing, or hoping to impress the girls. This is called the Valsalva's maneuver, no, not related to the merengue! So, we breath in, inhale: and breath out exhale. As we inhale the chest cavity enlarges raising ribs and depressing the diaphagrm. We breath out and the chest cavity returns to the size it was. The chest muscles are involuntary, they work on their own, no need to think about breathing. So, me, the inexperienced lifter breathes in and then closes my airpipe and strain lifting our poundage. The Valsalva maneuver. The increased chest pressure has consequences, the veins returning to the heart are slowed down and so blood leaving the heart has less oxtgen. Blood to the brain has less oxygen so dizziness and fainting can occur. People with high BP are at risk, heart valve weakness may be present, and also if I can remember it is possible for females to prolapse. So in the weight room breath in in the down phase and out on the up on strenuous phase.
James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Hi because I usually don't exercise in the gymn (I do brisk walking outside or brisk stepping in place in the house in bad weather) watching bulging neck veins during weight lifts is not something I was familiar with except with other activities. Bulging neck veins is known to be a symptom of congestive heart failure also. The post made by the other poster was important because it shows the congestion goes all the way up to the head showing the potential for causing aneurysms and potential stroke in the future.

Closed Thread