It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
(male)

Sharpevil HB User
Ectomorph, new to exercise, looking to start a routine.

Hi, I'm 19 now, and I've gotten by through most of my life on my quick metabolism. I've always eaten whatever I wanted, and never really put on weight. I've never had much muscle either, but that didn't bother me much. I've gotten by on little-to-no exercise save for high school marching band. Now, though, I'm starting to get a bit of a gut and I've got some pretty severe insomnia, so it seems to be pretty vital that I start exercising. I won't have access to a gym until the fall when I head back to college, so for now I'm limited to a bicycle and household objects.

So, can anyone recommend or help me build a routine? I've been biking for 45 minutes every day for about half a week, but I figure I need to vary it more. I'm looking more to get fit than 'get big'. I would like to build my abdominals, though, since my stomach seems to be where all my fat is going. I'd like to get it before it begins to sag down and become flab.

Information, if it helps any -
Height - 6'4" (I'm tall)
Weight - 190 lbs (Not quite sure where that all is. Pretty sure it's not muscle, but I still look pretty skinny.)

Anyway, help of any sort is appreciated! If there's any more info that'll help me make the most of this, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Ectomorph, new to exercise, looking to start a routine.

Hi,

With a BMI of 23.13 I'm suprised to hear you say you look "pretty skinny". You see yourself as a skinny guy with a big gut?

You said you will head back to college in the fall. College? Well, that explains everything. :-) One year of college and you have a gut. What a big surprise! :-)

If your diet is going to consist of drinking beer and eating pizza, you may be fighting a losing battle. I don't know what you've been eating but I would suggest that your diet is perhaps more important than anything else. That's not to say that exercise is not important. Exercise is very important but exercise alone won't do it all.

I may not be the best one to provide an exercise routine but here goes:

Do your biking every other day and bodybuilding every other day. I'm sure if you try you will be able to think up lots of bodybuilding activities. You can do things like push-ups, sit ups and deep knee bends. Get a couple of inexpensive hand weights to work out with. Be creative. :-)

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-15-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling & word change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread