It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

portgirl HB User
Considered "skinny-fat" Any advice??

Im a 25 year old girl who had a baby about 4 months ago and have lost all the baby weight and am actually smaller then i was before i got pregnant. The thing is i haven't done much exercise other then walking to loose the weight so i don't really have much muscle tone.

I look great in clothes but when im not, my inner thighs are very jiggly, have cellulite along my outer thighs, tummy rolls when im sitting and just a fatty feeling all over my body (yum, lol).

So i guess this is referred to as "skinny-fat" when your weight is low and you look good in clothing but you actually have a high fat content, making you a little soft.

I've heard that if your considered "skinny-fat" cardio may actually make it harder for you to loose the excess fat and should do strength training instead.

Anyone else considered "skinny-fat" or know anything about it? I would love to know. I have never really done strength training before but im definitely willing to give it a try. So any advice or tips on that would be great too!!

Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Considered "skinny-fat" Any advice??

Let me tell you a story. Last winter, I suffered a knee injury. Six weeks in a brace on crutches. By the time it was over, I'd lost an enormous amount of muscle in the left leg, and it was noticeably smaller than the right. But at the same time, it looked fat and gross! There was all this cellulite and loose rolls of fat just hanging out. The right leg, with the same amount of fat but with healthy muscles underneath, it looked fine.

Now, after 2 months of hard PT, both legs are stronger than ever. Short shorts w00t!

Now, your situation. Well, cardio won't make it harder to lose fat. That's impossible, cardio burns calories.

However, it may be that your bodyfat is actually normal, and the problem is just that your muscle is low, and too much cardio can make it harder to build muscle!

I strongly recommend strength training. Full body. Legs and arms, front and back, and don't forget your core muscles such as your abs. If you've never done it before, get some professional guidance. Some gyms offer a little free training to new members, or classes.

You may also want to look into a new-mommy exercise class. You bring the baby and lay him at the edge of the mat, and do some combination of calisthenics, strength building using the baby's weight, and maybe guiding the baby through some "exercises" designed to help build up the muscles he'll need to walk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

portgirl HB User

Thanks! I'm going to look into that "new mommy's class"
Sounds fun!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Jane's advice is great. If you cannot get out of the house because of the baby think about getting some strength training DVD's. You do not need a lot of equipment and you can really get into great shape. Do not discount cardio though because it is great for your heart and overall fitness.

Closed Thread