It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Question Constant muscle cramps?

I'm not sure where else to put this so I'm going to try the exercise forum since it's related.

For the past several months, my muscles cramp regularly but ONLY when it the full extended position, and only below the waist. If I straighten my leg and flex my quad, it will cramp. If I straighten my foot into a point to fully flex my calf, it will cramp. I get groin cramps while stretching. I get foot cramps doing yoga. I don't exercise every day, and oddly enough I never cramp doing resistance training.

I take magnesium every day. My diet is rich in potassium. I am allergic to dairy so my calcium intake may be a little low but I do drink fortified soy milk and eat leafy green vegetables.

The only medication I am on is thyroid, and none of my other routines have changed.

I have discussed this with my doctor, who is stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this and what I can do to mitigate it?

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-26-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Constant muscle cramps?

Bump. Anyone? I am open to ANY suggestion. The cramps are bothersome, but I'm also concerned they may be some sort of symptom of an underlying condition. But I wouldn't even know what to start testing for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

I have no idea but you may want to have some blood work done if you haven't already. That may give you some answers. I do not know how old you are, but menopause and peri-menopause can cause all kinds of crazy stuff in a woman's body.
It sounds like some sort of dietary imbalance, but thats just a wild guess. Do you drink enough water?

The Following User Says Thank You to diamond839 For This Useful Post:
EagleRiverDee (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond839 View Post
I have no idea but you may want to have some blood work done if you haven't already. That may give you some answers. I do not know how old you are, but menopause and peri-menopause can cause all kinds of crazy stuff in a woman's body.
It sounds like some sort of dietary imbalance, but thats just a wild guess. Do you drink enough water?
I'm 38, I am overweight but have been for years and actually lost 25 lbs last year and this muscle cramping issue is rather recent, just in the past few months. It could be a dietary imbalance- I've been trying to add in foods that I don't normally eat (whole foods) in an effort to maybe hit the magic nutrient. I drink about 2-1/2 liters of water a day. More if I'm exercising. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, and no juice, alcohol, or soda. I may have had some luck yesterday- I made an effort to eat and drink foods that contained all the electrolytes- I ate a banana, drank coconut juice, took a liquid Cal/Mag/D supplement and ate shake-n-bake pork chops (sodium, haha). Today I'm not having the muscle cramps...yet.

If this keeps up I'm going to ask for blood tests.

Thanks for the reply. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
(female)

MissAnnaAmy HB User

it sounds like you dont have enough liquid in your system
drink lots of water
also
potassium is another great remedy (bananas)

Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnaAmy View Post
it sounds like you dont have enough liquid in your system
drink lots of water
also
potassium is another great remedy (bananas)
Thanks!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

MissAnnaAmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I'm not sure where else to put this so I'm going to try the exercise forum since it's related.

For the past several months, my muscles cramp regularly but ONLY when it the full extended position, and only below the waist. If I straighten my leg and flex my quad, it will cramp. If I straighten my foot into a point to fully flex my calf, it will cramp. I get groin cramps while stretching. I get foot cramps doing yoga. I don't exercise every day, and oddly enough I never cramp doing resistance training.

I take magnesium every day. My diet is rich in potassium. I am allergic to dairy so my calcium intake may be a little low but I do drink fortified soy milk and eat leafy green vegetables.

The only medication I am on is thyroid, and none of my other routines have changed.

I have discussed this with my doctor, who is stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this and what I can do to mitigate it?

youre water intake is to minimal
also potassium (bananas ) are a great source to prevent muscle cramps

Closed Thread