It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

TNT4EVER HB UserTNT4EVER HB User
How Do I Stay Motivated To Get Up & Go To Gym???

I'm paying for a gym membership that I should be using more than I am. I just seem to fall in these slumps. Whether my days don't go as planned, my attitude goes astray, or I just keep saying "Tomorrow" - you know, the Tomorrow that never comes. I need to get AND STAY with it again.

I was doing very well, recording my cardio time, weights I lifted, etc. And I must get back to it, because I am suffering with severe hip pain when I don't move. The only time it feels better is when I am up & moving.

Ugh! I just wish I knew the keys to staying motivated. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: How Do I Stay Motivated To Get Up & Go To Gym???

Staying motivated is tricky. You have to find something you enjoy and you must stick with it for a long enough time so it becomes a habit. Something I do when I am not motivated to go to the gym is to tell myself that once I get there I can do a light workout. As long as I get there I can give myself permission to slack off. This gets me there and amazingly enough once I am there I end up having a killer workout.
I set mini-goals so I am always challenging myself too. This helps keep me motivated.
Maybe you could hire a trainer at your gym to show you some new stuff to do.
There is no real answer other than you need to make priorities in your life and then find a way to stick to them. If there was a good answer I guess the gyms would be overcrowded and there would be a lot more fit people out and about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
(male)

mottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB User

Only you can say what drives you to do whatever it is you do. You have to look at the rewards you expect to get from the endeavor and decide if they're worth the hard work and dedication that's required. The greatest motivation for me has been in seriously wanting to change several things about my life. It's that simple. I look at things I could have/should have done a long time ago, and I understand more now than ever that time is flying. Either I can try to LIVE and do things I've always wanted to do, or I can keep living in a bit of a rut, growing older with not much to show for my life. We're all taking a ride to our graves. Do you want to take that ride in a mine cart with bats hovering around you? in a jet as you sleep? on skates under a bright, blue sky? How do you want your ride?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
(female)

Hinminpix HB User

First of all, you should probably get your hip checked out, you wouldn't want to hurt it any further.

As for motivation, I find it is best to find an activity you ENJOY or at least increase the variability in your routine. That way, exercise can become more exciting because you are trying new things and you arn't pushing yourself to do the same thing over and over again. It's also better for your body.

Having a gym partner is also a good idea because it makes it so that you are not just accountable for yourself but also for him/her. You will be less likely to skip the gym because you are meeting your friend and you do not want to let him/her down.

Finally, going in the morning if you can is nice because you aren't tired from a long day at work, it wakes you up and it jump starts your day! Of course it can be hard to get up earlier than usual but once you do, you will actually be MORE awake throughout the day after even a short work out in the morning.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
(male)

wil58 HB User

Until I realized that 90% of going to the gym is psychological, I too had difficulty going to the gym regularly. It is not just that I didn't have time, or I had better things to do.....it is that my headspace once at the gym was too negative and I didn't enjoy being there. I did the following to rectify the issue:

1. my only goal is to walk through the gym doors every day. Makes it easy to achieve the goal
2. when I worried that people thought I am a loser for being at the gym every day, I got a membership at another gym so that I could go to separate gyms during the week
3. I don't record or plan workouts. Whichever machine/weights/gym area are open are the ones that I will use. No more worrying about long faces when I ask how many sets do you have left.
4. I no longer talk to people at the gym because people somehow know which buttons to push to bring you down (especially when they are jealous of your results...they end up mocking your form, your program, allude to supplements, etc)

With a clear head, going to a gym regularly is no longer a problem and my body thanks me for it.

Closed Thread