It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

lam41565 HB User
Yoga Question

Hi! I just started doing Yoga. I am taking a class at the gym an hour a week. Also I take another PiYo class for an hour which combines Pilates and Yoga.

I am wondering how often should you do Yoga a week to see the toning benefits?

I am going to try to do the Yoga on Saturday and Sunday mornings and the PiYo on Thursdays.

I have heard that Yoga is so good for you mentally and physically. How long till you see the toning?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

jacksonema HB User
Re: Yoga Question

Yoga does not give you fast effect..just like within week..
It is slow process but it is very effective.You may feel the difference
within couple of months or it can take long time than that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Congrats for starting yoga and pilates classes, your body will thank you for it!

I've been at it for 2 years and I seem to find the best results by getting an hour at least 5 days a week for yoga, I would do it everyday but I don't have enough time. I also alternate walking, Tai Chi/Qi Gong, light weights and core strengthening 4-5) days a week.

It's different day to day, but even after one session, I can sometimes see an improvement in my posture, balance, attitude and flexibility. As far as seeing the improvements in toning, it takes some time, you'll start noticing the core strengthening within a few weeks, we well as the toning in your legs and back.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
(male)

atrail2 HB User

Hi, the best frequency for yoga sessions depends very much on the style and intensity... If it's fairly light and you're not exhausted after a practise, everyday is probably good. If it's something like "hot yoga", you may want to do this only a few times per week. What kind of classes have you signed up for?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
(female)

lam41565 HB User

It's not hot yoga. Just the basic one I guess. Doesn't really say on the schedule...just says Yoga. I do alot of the basic poses. I do work up a sweat during it. I also do Piyo twice a week which is a combo of Pilates and Yoga. Very good class. In addition I do Pilates for an hour class twice a week along with Cardio kickboxing. I have lost 17 lbs since starting in October and lost many inches!! I love working out and will continue to as long as my body allows me to!!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
(male)

atrail2 HB User

Wow, that's a lot of working out. Good for you! Wish I had the time...

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

I've done yoga for years, in classes, with DVD's at home and just to music at home. I try to do the Sun Salutation every day. Recently I've returned to classes, loving them as much as ever.

The results are cumulative. It is best to do whatever you can every day.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Jack Woo HB User

As a beginner it is better for you to do it two to three times per week. Once you have the feel and confidence to do all the basic poses then daily session will be good.
You should also include the sun-salutation poses.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
(female)

Randine HB User

Congratulations on making the commitment to getting healthy.

You are doing a lot of different things which is good. You will get a nice balance between strength, flexibility and conditioning.

Yoga is a lifelong journey so don't focus on your short term results because there won't be any. It takes a long time to get the strength and flexibility yoga demands. However, it is a powerful meditation and relaxation tool and you will feel those benefits immediately. That is probably what people enjoy the most when it comes to yoga. It forces you to slow down and become introverted for a few moments a day.

If you are doing basic yoga, you can absolutely do the asanas every day. They are a nice way to wind down at the end of the day or to start your day off, whichever you prefer. I just would use them as a stretch and relaxation on the days when you are doing cardio or pilates-yoga rather than pushing your body.

Yoga is one of those types of exercise you can do your entire life because it is low impact and has so many health benefits.

I did a lot of cardio kickboxing but found that after a while I kind of plateaued. So I turned to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is designed so you never plateau...

I have stubborn belly fat that I just couldn't shake after having my third child when I was in my 30s. HIIT training got me the results I was looking for in just a few weeks. I love the challenge as well.

So I do HIIT and yoga and I love it.

Keep up the great work!!

Closed Thread