It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

dmm1511 HB User
Day Off

Hi Again! I am really sorry for posting what must seem like really stupid questions! I am pretty much clueless on fitness/nutrition!!! I am trying to make an appointment with a nutritionist, but haven't found the time yet. Anyway, my quesition now is regarding how to eat on a day off exercise. I run an hour basically every day of the week (I know that seems like a lot, but honestly, I am doing it that much mainly because it is such a great stress-release!). Now tomorrow (Thanksgiving) the gym isn't open so I will be taking the day off. I know it's Thanksgiving and of course I will indulge in some sweets, but overall I would still like to try and eat healthy. So, in terms of calories, should I eat less on rest days than on days I work out? Obviously this question is relevant to more than just tomorrow...in general what is the "rule" for that?

Again, I'm really sorry if my questions seem so ridiculous! Thank you all for reading my posts and offering up advice...I appreciate it more than you know! A Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: Day Off

Try and eat the same amount every day if you are trying to lose weight. No need to add extra calories on days you run because that would be counterproductive to losing weight. But you do need to eat enough calories in a day to nourish yourself. Thanksgiving is going to be a freebie. Do not worry or stress too much. Try and keep your portions small, especially with desserts.
Your overall diet should consist of whole fresh foods. Lean proteins, low and non fat dairy, whole grains, fruits and vegetables and lots of water. Do not forget the good fats like olive oil, nuts and avocados. Stay away from processed food as much as possible. They are full of bad fats, sugar and crazy amounts of sodium.
No questions are stupid. Your health is important and the more you know the better off you will be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
(female)

beachlove12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond839 View Post
Try and eat the same amount every day if you are trying to lose weight. No need to add extra calories on days you run because that would be counterproductive to losing weight. But you do need to eat enough calories in a day to nourish yourself. Thanksgiving is going to be a freebie. Do not worry or stress too much. Try and keep your portions small, especially with desserts.
Your overall diet should consist of whole fresh foods. Lean proteins, low and non fat dairy, whole grains, fruits and vegetables and lots of water. Do not forget the good fats like olive oil, nuts and avocados. Stay away from processed food as much as possible. They are full of bad fats, sugar and crazy amounts of sodium.
No questions are stupid. Your health is important and the more you know the better off you will be.
@diamond839, I have a quick question in regards to your answer! You say that for weight loss, to eat less on rest days, and I'm wondering if you beleive this applies for different goals people have. I'm a competitive swimmer and am unsure of how many calories I should be consumed on rest days. I want to build lean muscle mass and get faster in the pool, so do you think I should have the same amount of calories on rest days? I just feel like I'm eating way too much on days when I don't need that many calories, even though I know my body needs these calories for muscle repair etc.
Thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
(male)

flyingabove HB User

You could try some intermittent fasting on your day off. Seeing as you aren't doing anything too strenuous, try not eating till say lunchtime and then eat as normal for a 5-8 hour window. You will have fasted while sleeping and the waking hours up till your first meal at lunch.

Alot of people have sucess with intermittent fasting.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-22-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Closed Thread