It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

rjb78 HB User
Is intense exercise safe with Hypertension?

I am not grossly overweight, but I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. I wouldn't consider myself totally out of shape either. If I tried, I could probably go run a mile. I also have two little boys who I chase all over the house/yard. However, two months ago I visited my doctor for a work physical I found out that I have hypertension and a high resting heart rate. Over the past two months I've had a few more doctors visits to confirm that I have a problem.

So now I'm concerned, and my wife and parents are freaking out. I've known I should be in better shape for some time now. For Christmas my wife got me the P90x Insanity DVD's. I'm a little hesitant because of all those warnings about "checking with physicians before beginning this workout". I asked my doctor twice about this and both times he didn't say yes or no. He just kind of beat around the bush about how they're good for some people and bad for others.

Obviously I'm going to change my diet, but do you think it's safe to start an intense workout system now, or should I ease into it? I know I'm probably just over thinking it, but I'm really paranoid with all the freaking out my wife and parents are doing.

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Re: Is intense exercise safe with Hypertension?

I would say ease into it. I also have a hypertension, and at age 22 I am doing everything physically possible to get rid of it.

Ive lost about 20 lbs in the last few months. Now let me just start by saying that as hypertensives we can work out just as much as any other person, the issue is we need to train our circulatory system to first deal with the workout.

Do you have a stationary bike? You can purchase a cheap one for 100$ online. I would suggest doing the lowest level on the bike for 15-30 minutes, gradually you can work your way up to a stronger workout. Now I do 50 minutes. As far as weights go I would be careful, as they can cause a sudden rise and drop in blood pressure. When I push myself too hard with weights I get a bit dizzy, but I think this is mainly due to my medication "Benicar HCTZ".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread