It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

Lkub HB User
People at the gym

Okay, I've always been afraid of the gym. I'm overweight and I've been on this being extremely healthy kick for the past four months and finally decided to conquer my fear because lets face it, you need to eat healthy and excercise to actually see results. So, I went with my sister tonight and was so proud of myself. Then I noticed a guy look at me and laugh and then nudge this girl next to him and say "look" and pointed to me. It was so discouraging and made me so upset that people are like that. I mean, why make fun of someone when they are taking the right steps to be healthy and lose weight?

The following user gives a hug of support to Lkub:
punkybear (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User
Re: People at the gym

Please don't let people like that discourage you. As someone who frequents the gym often, I keep to myself and am too busy and focused when I'm there to notice petty things about people. We all have our flaws and I am proud of people who are taking the proper steps to a healthy lifestyle. Stay focused, keep to yourself and don't let people with a high school mentality keep you from reaching your goals. They must be pretty insecure in themselves to act like that. That kind of attitude makes me sick and I'm sure most people at the gym would agree. Good for you and stick with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to punkybear For This Useful Post:
steeler52 (03-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Don't let some ignorant fool discourage you. He obviously has a mental disability, pay him no mind.
Keep going to the gym! Focus on your job there. Most folks only focus on what they are doing, and not paying much attention to others. I love it when I see larger people at my gym. They are taking the right steps and I have seen so many of them shrink before my eyes. If you go at the same time you will see the same people and before you know it you may end up being friends with some of them.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
(female)

MissAnnaAmy HB User

perhaps its the other way around
perhaps they looked at you and admired youre will power as well as your courage
try to be positive

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

Heddah HB User

I hope that this finds you still going to the gym.

First, the gym is a place where you have different types of people. You have the guy that does one rep of the heaviest weight possible to show off, you have the girl on the treadmill wearing a full face of make-up and her hair flowing around her shoulders to try and get a date, and then you have everyone else who actually use the gym for its purpose.

As a new person to the gym, overweight or not, you have to commit to its purpose. If you are there to better yourself then commit yourself to that no matter what. He was probably pointing you out because in most cases, hopefully not yours, overweight people attempt the gym but give up because they don't dedicate themselves. It is not easy and a lot of people seem to think that if they go for a week, a miracle will happen. It requires hard work.

Your first step is to dedicate yourself to your well-being. With that, you won't care what people think,say, or do anymore becasue 1)you have a tangible goal and 2) you'll be too busy using the gym to notice the ones that are just there for socializing.

Stay focused, dedicated and oblivious to the idiots. You have a goal to improve yourself and your health.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

I've been going to the gym regularly (twice a week) for some time. By now I'd probably feel confident enough to speak up if I encountered a jerk like that. If he does it to you, he'll do it to someone else too.

Most people at the gym are good people trying to help themselves and even others. It's a great place to work up a sweat (or not) and build up those muscles and bones. Wishing you much pleasure and good results in the gym.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
(male)

JamesPolo HB User

Come on mate, you shouldn't care about other ppl unless its relatives.
I understand your issue but the only way to solve your problem is to face it
not to run away from it.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

jjsmit250 HB User

You can do exercises in the comfort of your own home, using simple workouts that can easily be done first thing in the morning or in the evening without endless hours of cardio, fancy equipment or expensive supplements.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
(female)

bruce90 HB User

Warm up is good but as you might know that warm ups is only for getting body warm and to free all joints, so people first do warm and then do workouts. Now coming to work out part, as per I know that one have to lift weight as per his capability and the main thing to be kept in mind is, don't ever never do over exercise or workout, rest its all good. And yes rest, continuous breathing and taking water is most important.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
(male)

sigsby HB User

This reminds me of a saying. Don't start from where people thing you should be. Start from where you are. I was thinking that at the gym last night when I was working out next to a group of bodybuilders. They too were pointing and making comments about me. Don't let them get to you. Keep focused on your goal and know inside that you are doing your best. Focus, discipline and patience are key tools in getting healthy.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
(female)

jenne13 HB User

GOOD for you for taking the hardest step, which is the first step. Do NOT let that jerk hold you back!
Maybe you need to find a gym that doesn't have such ignorant people. Or you could prove to that JERK in a few months how wrong he was. Use his ignorance for your benifit and power up!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #12
(male)

Louisharald HB User

Hi there, the best advice I can give you is to be the one who laughs in the end. You owe yourself the satisfaction of getting better every single day. Notche up those tiny victories every day and before long, when you turn around and look back, you will see that you are the real winner, - not some inflated insecure **** who needs to get his kicks by picking on you. Take heart and never ever give up!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Oh my gosh! What a rude and terrible person. At my gym I see all kinds of bodies and ages of people all working out, and I just think it's great that everyone is there to get some exercise. Unfortunately there always seems to be at least one rude person that comes up every now and then. I remember seeing one elderly man that would make inappropriate comments, out loud even, about young teenage girls. It's really sad that people can't keep to themselves! I actually ended up choosing a larger gym that has many different workout areas, including a women's only area. I feel like it gives me space to move to a new spot if there is a disrespectful person. I'm not sure how large your gym is, but there maybe even be a certain time of day that works for you and isn't as packed. I go later in the evening because I know it's very busy right after work hours. I'd be lying to say that people don't bother me and it's hard to ignore it sometimes. Just please try your best to ignore those jerks and remember that taking care of YOU is what really matters! Great job on making the decision to go to the gym I hope that your future visits are much more pleasant!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
(female)

Chrissy T HB User

I don't think that you should allow narrow minded people like him to intimidate you, the fact that he mocked you don't defile you as a Woman but reflects the lack of his 'character'. I say DONT GIVE UP

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
(female)

Jess664 HB User

We have this need in our society to always compare ourselves to others, likes its some sort of contest where we need to be "better". Definitely keep going to the gym, tune everyone else out, and focus on bettering yourself. People will constantly be pointing out things that they are better at, or how they are superior, and its just a weakness of our society, but stay strong and keep bettering yourself...for yourself.

Closed Thread

Tags
gym, people, rude, weight loss