It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

soresubject HB User
Exercise and Diet Tips

I am 22 and I have always been quite slim. Since getting with my boyfriend a year and a half ago we have both put on a lot of weight, which is expectant when you get comfortable in a relationship.

I have gained quite a bit of fat round my belly, not so much that it is really noticable to others, but when I lean over I can feel rolls of fat forming and it feels uncomfortable sometimes when I am sat in certain positions and I can feel the fat. Rather than having a nice flat stomach like I used to, it now sticks out slightly.

I am quite ashamed to say that I haven't really exercised at all since leaving school and have never had a very healthy diet. It has never really been a problem in the past as I have always been very lucky to be able to eat what I want and not gain weight. I also smoked from when I was 15 up until about 5 months ago.

Both me and my boyfriend have agreed to join a gym and are going to visit one tommorow to have a look around and get some membership prices, but due to the neglect I have given my body for the past 7 years my fitness levels are at an all time low. I struggle to walk up hills or several flights of stairs without becoming breathless.

I am looking for exercise tips on how to lose the excess fat I have gained, and obviously get my fitness levels up. I am not looking to get a lot of muscles, but maybe to tone up a bit so I don't get those uncomfortable fat rolls anymore and to get my tummy tucked in a bit.

I would also appreciate advice on the kind of foods I should and shouldn't be eating as healthy eating is something that is very new to me. The obvious suggestion would be salads, but I do not like lettuce, tomatos or cucumbers! so some alternatives would be nice. I do like my vegetables, but my biggest problem is I love meat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: Exercise and Diet Tips

You can have your meat! And you do not have to eat salads if you do not want to. Its great that you like veggies. Try and eat fresh, non processed foods. Cut way down on sugar and saturated fats. Steam or roast your veggies. Opt for lean cuts of meat and watch your portion size. Use whole grains not refined ones. Stay away from simple carbs. Weight Watchers is a great program for losing weight because it teaches how to eat a variety of healthy foods. Drink lots of water!
As far as exercise goes start with baby steps. Walk on the treadmill at first then gradually increase your pace/elevation. Do not push yourself in the beginning. Get comfortable with the equipment. As you start to get into a groove you can start to push yourself to do more. Ask the trainers at the gym to show you proper form on the equipment. As you get fitter you may want to hire a trainer to show you more stuff and work on your fitness goals.
You can get magazines like Women's Health, Shape, or Fitness and they have recipe ideas and exercises you can do.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
(male)

simonjohn123 HB User

It is important to understand what happens when you skip a meal or go on a crash diet. When you skip a meal your metabolism slows to conserve your energy. And when you lose weight too quickly for a few days,and take exercise daily.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

cdavis2222 HB User

It sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I don't consider myself much of someone to enjoy working out or wanting to put a ton of effort in. However, I have found a really good workout regimen that is easy to follow and doesn't take a whole lot of time. Since you haven't worked out in a while, it may be difficult at first, but with consistency, it will get better!

1 mile run/walk followed by
Fuel + Fitness: Horizontal Conditioning video. It's only 10 minutes and feels so good to do after cardio. Plus, you only have to do it 3 times a week
Finish by doing 50 jumping jacks, 10 pushups, and 10 sit-ups three - 3 times

Closed Thread