It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
(male)

AbdulB HB User
Question When Is Exercising Harmful?

Hi there,

I grew up knowing that as much exercise you do as much benefit you get!

Last week, I met somebody who is studying Exercising Biology, and she said that if you did exercise to much, you would have more problems when you get older.

I know that in some cases, such as doing hard and extreme extremes such as Gymnasium extremes too much and hard is harmful. Running to fast and too much might cause problems in the knees. Also, exercise hardly with warm up is also harmful. Beside taking some special tablets, I don't know what they are called, for building muscle is also harmful.

But I had never heard that regular exercise even doing them a lot progressively is harmful. What I know is that if you exercise a lot, you will see the benefit when you are older.

I know I wrote a lot, but I am really confused, can you help me?

Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: When Is Exercising Harmful?

In general, exercising is better than not exercising. Just use a few basic, common-sense safety precautions.

First, if you feel pain other than the "good" burn of muscle fatigue, stop. If your knee is killing you, don't try to run through it.

Second, whatever sport you are doing, learn to do it right. If you lift weights, have an expert teach you to lift safely.

Whatever equipment you need, make sure it fits you and it's in good shape. If you run, wear good shoes. If you ski, keep your skis in good repair, etc.

Don't expect to be able to run a marathon the first day out. Start off slow, increase gradually. If you get hurt, take a break. Basic common sense stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
(male)

AbdulB HB User

Thanks, janewhite1!!

You made really good points I was lokking forward, but I have some question about your coment.

How can I know if it is "good" burn of muscle or not.

I know that I can't run marathon from the first day, but if I arrived to that level. Then I continue increasing gradually. Woud it be harful because I am doing a lot of running even though I did it gradually Also, is it the same for other kinds of sport as well?

Thank you again!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When your muscles burn, that means the exercise is good. Push through the burn for a little while. The next day, they may be sore, that's also a good sign.

If the pain is sharp, or in a joint, that's bad. If the pain after the workout lasts more than 2 days, that's a sign you may be pushing too hard.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
(male)

simonjohn123 HB User

Some exercises can cause damage to bones, muscles and surrounding tissues, make it more likely that you will injure yourself or worsen a pre-existing injury or medical condition. Avoid bouncing while stretching, standing toe-touches (touching your toes), full squats, sit-ups (crunches) and double leg raises. They can all cause injury.

Closed Thread