It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

fionashrek HB User
Questions on Running

Hello!

I had a couple of questions about running:

1) While running I am a mess. I have been running since the past 10 months or so, (twice or thrice a week on an average). But I walk briskly for 5 minutes, then run for 5 minutes. I do this alternatively for 20 minutes. I am not able to run continuously, despite of the fact that it has been 10 months! I start huffing and puffing after 2.5 minutes. I run at the speed of 4.5 miles per hour only. At the most 5.5, not more than that.

Even while running for those 5 minutes, I am a mess. I push myself a lot in order to finish 5 minutes. What is it that I am doing wrong? I expected that by the end of 10 months I would be able to run continuously at least for 15 minutes!

What should I eat before running or enable me to keep my energy levels up? Why is my stamina soooo low!

2) One thing I have observed over the last few months was that my heartrate used to shoot up (165 to 170) when my speed of running used to increase.
But of late, it is about 125 on an average. What does this mean? Is this a good sign that my heart has finally adapted to the intense exercise? If yes, then why do I still huff and puff!?

Regards,
Fiona

Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Questions on Running

Two thoughts. One, that might just be too fast for you. I run a 5K in 35-37 minutes which is about 11-12 minutes a mile...but my time for the first two miles is a lot faster than the last mile so I would not be able to maintain that pace. There is a difference between "running" and "jogging" so you need to decide which you want to do. Jogging is a slower pace. I suggest walking one block, jogging one block, then building up to one block of walking with 2 blocks of jogging, etc till you can jog the whole distance.

A second thought: you may have EIA - exercise induced asthma. If the above plan doesn't work, have that checked by a pulmonologist.

Good luck with your jogging - or running - whichever it is you want to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
fionashrek (05-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
(female)

tuck HB User

Running has many benefits. Running allows you to burn fat and calories. Apart from it, running helps you to have healthy life style.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
(male)

mottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB User

If you want to build endurance, you are going to have to work at doing just that. Cease the "on and off" running. Get to a track and jog at a pace that isn't too much or too little, and get around that track at least once. Do that with each meeting as many times as you need to until you can add a second lap. And a third... and fourth...

I run once a week, and have been mostly consistent about that for a little over a year now. My last session around the track was 20 laps, non-stop. That's somewhere between 4-5 miles. And I always sprint to my limit on the final lap. When I first started running, I was doing something like 3 or 4 laps. The goal is always to increase my laps. But from the very beginning, "stop and go" running was not to be included in the routine.

As far as eating, I like getting a good dose of protein in my system before any kind of workout.

Last edited by mottled dove; 09-26-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
(male)

GymRat HB User

Speed is not the difference between running and walking, as you will have noticed if you watched the olympics where the winners of the walking marathon will have easily finished in times most of us could only dream of running it.
Basically ignore the speed you are acheiving and focus on technique and breathing instead. Pace will increase if technique is there and you have the oxygen to fuel your run, but techique and air will not improve by going faster.

Breathing needs to be very relaxed and feel natural on distance running, if you have to force it, slow down. This may mean you are running slower than you can walk initially but consider that there is far more impact in running which messes with your breathing.

I am a natural distance runner and used to place quite high in the races I competed in when I was focussed on this type of event. Unlike many in that situation, when someone told me they could improve my technique but it would cost me up to a year of competetive times, I went for it.
Running is a hard thing for many to accept they do wrong, most of us have run since early childhood and assume we must do it well. Many of us don't.
People get stupid phrases in their heads like 'get those knees up' and others equally as dangerous.
Running is a series of low jumps to move us forward at pace.
Good techique is marked by the following.
Feet skim just above the ground, increasing efficiency and reducing impact.
All energy is directed forward, or in direction of travel. If your arms, knees, feet etc are going sideways or diagonally you will be wasting energy and risking injury. This was my error, my hands crossed my body when I ran, this meant my upper body power, such that it was, directed me sideways and I was twisting my knee joint without realising.
Ensure you support what needs to be supported. Both genders have body parts that are painful if left to swing wildly. Get well fitted sports bra if female and ensure the family jewels are held in place if male. I have once tried running in loose boxers, when one teste stayed forward and the other got trapped between my legs it brought my run to a stop and tears to my eyes.
Look at your shoes, you want to see most wear on the outsides of your heals and the big toe, with reasonable wear on the outer edge, but not nearly as much as those areas. If you find this is exactly what you have, great you have correct strike pattern. I was proud to find this was the case with me, then I was told, the majority of people do naturally, and my bubble was burst.

If you are running well and breathing relaxed at 3mph it is better for you than running badly and struggling to breath at 6, 9 or 12mph.

I am slower than I used to be because I decided I wanted to be bigger and this meant carrying more weight, and that will slow you down over a distance no matter if it's fat or lean mass. I don't worry too much about this, but I am always focussed on how well i am running, knowing this is the key point.

Last edited by GymRat; 10-26-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Incorrect statement.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

eric909 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
Running has many benefits. Running allows you to burn fat and calories. Apart from it, running helps you to have healthy life style.
I agree, running has many benefits but not all of us could do running especially to those people with heart problem and etc. Before involving ourselves to any physical activities, better we know the situation first and our condition.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
(male)

Dominic98 HB User

There are many exercise are personal trainer are suggest are do this and get healthy body fitness so i want to say something about running i am sure about that running is much better for fitness and lose weight also.

Reply Reply

Tags
heart rate, running, stamina