It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
(male)

HeroDaze62 HB User
Need tips on getting in shape! Please help!

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on starting a workout routine. I'm a 22 year old male and unfortunately very out of shape. I really just want to start feeling stronger and to get active and get into a routine of exercise. I need to start from the ground up. I just don't really KNOW where to start! Any pointers? Thanks!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Need tips on getting in shape! Please help!

Greetings! Herodaze62 Welcome to the exercise & Fitness healthboards. They usually advise seeing the health professionals before any exercise routines are taken up. Personally I would not feel that I had to just because it is usually walking anyway. I would take a brisk walk everyday out in some beautiful park or down some beatifully gardened street. These walks are said to be better if a person starts out slowly for warm up then goes faster and at the end of the walk slows down again for a few minutes for cool down. These walks can be for a few minutes after meals to tolerance. Then I would start a time for a few minutes working up to an hours walk daily in addition to the hours walk after meals. I would do the exercise meals and bedtimes should be on a schedule.

Some doctors are now saying that pumping weights or using some machines which increase intrabdominal pressure too much can wreck a heart valve. Of course everyone is in charge of their own health and makes their own health care choices in life. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-08-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

You are starting out on a truly exhilarating journey. I turned into a gym rat, have plenty what I call "gym toys" at home, go to a gym, take yoga classes and also do yoga at home to music. I made a study of all of it at the library with books and DVD's, have been at it for many years.

Maybe for a simple start (in addition to the excellent previous post) you can get a pair of dumbbells and try a few sets each day. There are books on movements as well as DVD's. Wishing you the best getting in shape and finding a new hobby.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Hi Hero! Congratulations on deciding to get yourself fit. Its a great lifelong pursuit. If you are just starting our remember the mantra of 'baby steps'. Start small and work your way up. Doing too much too soon will not only make you sore and discouraged, it can also injure you. The simplest thing you can do that will only cost you a pair of decent shoes is to start running. Walk first and then incorporate running as you go. You can do it anytime right from your front door. You can also do some simple moves without any equipment at all....push-ups, squats, lunges, plank..(you can Google those if you are not sure). Or if you have the means join a gym and hire a trainer to walk you through a starting off routine.
The most important thing you can do though is to eat well. Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat whole, fresh foods, lean proteins, good fats and complex carbs and drink lots of water. As you get more in shape and things become easier to do start pushing yourself to get to the next level.
Good luck to you!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
(female)

bulldog62 HB User

If you have a gym membership or can afford one, get to a gym, consult with a professional trainer, and have them start you off right. Be sure you check out the credentials of the trainer before hiring them or getting any help from them. There are too many people working at gyms that have zero experience and a basic certificate of training. They can hurt you more than help or at least waste your money.

Cardio is your friend right now. Move...... If you can't run, walk. If you can ride a bike, do it. Try for 15 minutes the first day, then work up. It should be hard.... you should be out of breath, but be able to talk. HYDRATE.... and fuel with protein. Ready made protein drinks are a great source if you don't want a lot of food or calories in your body while you work out.

Talk to a nutritionist if you're obese. Get some information about portion size, caloric intake and the best foods for your body.

And be PROUD of yourself! At EVERY interval, even if you just finish your first 15 minutes, BE PROUD. And get back to it the next day..... Congratulate yourself with LOVE, not food. Treats are for dogs, not humans. *wink*

All the best to you on your journey!!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
(male)

jennirvan34 HB User

Hi all, I am very much agreed with aspects you all have regarding to make body in shape. Very much informative and generous.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
(male)

nick779 HB User

Hi HeroDaze62
I'm 21 years old and have had a very couch potato type lifestyle till early this year! Big beer belly, inactive lifestyle, etc. Only about 3 months ago, i started swimming regularly as i have a pool in my apartment clubhouse... and go to the gym thrice a week. no heavy weights or anything, just easy basic workouts.
Hope this helps, cheers

Last edited by moderator2; 10-11-2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 10-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
(male)

taylor782 HB User
Cool Re: Need tips on getting in shape! Please help!

in my view if you are looking to achieve shape in not quite in early time then i think you can do it with your own but just having simple guidelines from the others or if you are looking to do it early then you have to join some gym or hire a personal trainer.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
(male)

nick779 HB User

Completely agree with taylorlautner02...
youv'e gotta get help if your'e trying to get in shape in quicktime.

Closed Thread