It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
(female)

mommyfix HB User
Re: How to force myself to like exercising

Hey Cupcake, may I asked how long you have been dieting and exercising?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
(female)

cupcake223 HB User

hi, I have been trying to lose weight for around 4 years but have been off and on about it and really hated dieting and exercise until about a year or so ago. I started yoga about a year ago and weight watcher points system shortly after

Yoga was a big help for me because of the stress relief and positive attitude. I had tried trainers/athletic type fitness classes (spin, Zumba,P90X) I hated the attitude of the athletic stuff, aggressive, push harder,feel the pain.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-06-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #18
(male)

GymRat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
I'll admit up front that I hate exercise. I will never understand how someone can do yoga or go for a jog in order to "unwind."

How do you make yourself like exercise?
OK let's try looking at this from totally the opposite angle. What do you enjoy doing? I am not referring to exercise in any way, literally just things you do for pleasure.

In my dim and distant past I used to be a PT. I had a client similar to you who hated exercise in general but wanted to trim down. He had done incredibly well in business making more money than I will ever see, and was well over double his ideal weight.
The answers to 'What do you enjoy?' were slow coming but his favourite activity was watching TV. I could have wasted his time and made more money ignoring this and doing 1 to 1 coaching for a few sessions, instead I advised he get a recumbant cycle for home, and a very comfrotable seat. He was to pedal this as watching TV very gently to a level were he could go indefinately.
The cost was high as he had to get a special seat and some additional support to ensure his weight didn't rest fully on the machine. He was sceptical but returned a few months later thrilled. He had found the activity was so easy to forget that he often only noticed it when watching something fast paced as he would tend to speed up pedalling then have to recover for a while. The seat was armchair comfortable and easy to wipe clean. His weight had reduced very little but he had been gaining constantly before and his doctor advised his blood pressure had moved to high from dangerous.
I saw him casually over a year later, a lot slimmer and still using the same system, though less often as he was able to go faster and focus more on the cycling, which he never fully enjoyed but liked the challenge of improving at.

I am not saying the same thing will be good for you, but that the approach should be to find something you enjoy and build the activity around that instead of trying to force yourselve to enjoy something you hate. If you love nature, go for slow walks in beautiful areas, shopping, walk to your local shopping centre and around it, then get a bus back if your can't carry the bags home. Most things can have exercise injected into them and with you needing long duration low intensity, this becomes easier to do.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
(male)

laurenmaftel HB User

When you start doing exercise you will never like it but when you started liking your body you will like and enjoy it doing so.. First decide a target what you have to do and when and at what time you have to achieve the desire target.
The desire to get a musculus body will crave you in doing exercise. Read the benefits of exercising and what exercise gives your body.. Than you will surely start liking it..

Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would also suggest seeing a pulmonologist and being tested for asthma. If you are getting short of breath that quickly, you may have asthma - at least perhaps EIA - exercise induced asthma. Inhalers can straighten that out if it's the case.

And please, please do not think of your eating as a diet. It's a lifestyle change. It will be permanent. So find a way of eating that you can live with and that lowers your calorie intake. You may have to put certain foods on the special ocassion only list but that's OK. I have things I only eat during Christmas season or when I go home to New Orleans. And then I try to up my exercise to compensate for it.

Reply Reply