It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

SchH3Bxr HB User
Weight Gain From Swimming?

Hey everyone.. I'm having a bit of a weight gain problem and I'm wondering if anyone could offer any insight.

Last year I lost 40+ lbs through diet and exercise. I'm looking to lose another 20lbs this year to get down to my ideal body weight (I'm a 5'11 tall female and I now weigh 187lbs). This year I bought a new home with a nice swimming pool, and I thought this would be a good way to get exercise and help me lose these last 20 or so lbs.

I started my diet again (1400-1600 calories per day, lots of proteins, veggies and fruits). I always eat well.. whole foods, no fast foods, easy on the sweets, etc.. my problem before was I would just eat too much of the good stuff. I began swimming every other day for about an hour to an hour and a half. I do laps and swim under water as well, and I swim vigorously enough to bring up my heart rate and get a good workout. But here's the problem.. in the last 2 months, I've GAINED about 7 lbs. Now I'm sure some of this weight is from muscle gain.. my biceps and my leg muscles are getting much bigger/firmer! But I haven't lost any inches.. my clothes aren't fitting any better (my jeans are actually tighter).. and I'm starting to think swimming is not doing much of anything besides giving me bigger muscles.

I do not eat more than I think I'm eating, and I know how to diet to lose weight. I've been walking 2 miles every other day in addition to swimming every other day, and I stay active as much as possible.

A friend of mine used to be a swimmer in highschool.. she says my body might be holding fat due to exposure to cool water (though I keep my pool at 88 degrees.. it's not very cold at all!), and just gaining muscle. I can tell I haven't lost any fat at all.. and I'm getting discouraged.

I love to swim and I feel like it's a great workout.. but when the scale goes up and not down and my pants are getting tighter.. well I really want to give up on the swimming and go back to the elliptical trainer and workout videos I used before to drop the pounds.

What should I do??? Is swimming really preventing any weight/fat loss?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
(male)

Elwood951 HB User
Re: Weight Gain From Swimming?

Thats is impossible you will get lose your weight from swimming.Swimming is the way for lose weight.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi,If you exercise your heart everything else will fall into place. You must reach your target heart rate and keep it there for at least a half hour to start and gradually increase the time as you go forward. walking will not do it and swimming I am not sure about. Target heart rate is 220 minus your age which will give you maximum beats per minute but you then take 60 to 80 percent of that number to give you the range of maximum fat burning. Buy a cheap heart rate monitor. Me. I use the strairmaster but there are many exercises like running on a treadmill or the eliptical type machines but the key is to increase the heart rate and you will know you are on the right track when your shirt becomes soaked with sweat. I am a male who has been doing cardio exercise for 24 years and its worked for me. I am the first thin male in my fat Italian family. Good luck to you

Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
(male)

billhook HB User

Exactly the same has happened to both me and my wife. I have lost about forty pounds with a healthy diet and exercise. Bike ride every day and tennis once a week. Fresh fruit and veg and smoked mackerel! In 2010 I was 240 pounds and went down to under 200 this year. My wife has always had a good figure and eats a healthy diet.
We both love swimming and treated ourselves to an Endless indoor pool which has been wonderful. However she has gone up from 128 pounds to 134 pounds at five foot eight tall. Her ideal weight is about 130 pounds and I have gone back up to 210 pounds from below 200 and I am five eleven tall. My ideal weight would be around 190 pounds.

We have not felt any more hungry after swimming so in both our cases it is not about more food.
I have quite a lot of muscle from all the exercise and am not convinced that it is turning fat into muscle which is the answer.

We both take our weights every morning at the same time. We eat at Midday the main meal and have fruit later generally not eating after four.
Every day if we have stuck to our regime I gain about five pounds and always lose it overnight plus a bit if I have been good.
However if we go out for a meal in the evening we never lose it overnight and it is always depressing looking at the scales the next morning.

I am wondering if swimming causes some kind of shutdown of the skin pores and does not allow the body to transpire as freely as it would normally do overnight, so we retain more water.
Another possibility is that the skin senses the colder environment and the water and creates an extra bit of subcutaneous fat.

We do sympathise with your predicament and cannot help thinking that there may be another explanation apart from muscle gain and extra food intake to explain this. There are many posts on this if you put it on google

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
(male)

Ranjankumar12 HB User

you can't gain weight from swimming.According to me Swimming is the best exercise and best way to lose weight.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
(male)

billhook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjankumar12 View Post
you can't gain weight from swimming.According to me Swimming is the best exercise and best way to lose weight.
But if you are fat before you start the swimming regime and the fat turns into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat?

Closed Thread