It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

Titanic Explore HB User
I have walked my way to massive weight loss!

I'm 43, and from age 29 up until last year, was always at least 30 pounds overweight- but in recent years my weight skyrocked-last year I inched towards 300 pounds (my ideal weight is around 180). Dangerously high blood pressure and the total lack of luck in romance prompted me to get fit. I won't run just yet, until i'm down to 200 pounds- right now, I speed walk outside a minimum of 4 hours a day. The weight is plummeting, I feel amazing, and my mind is clearer than ever. I;m down to 240, last year I was about 300 pounds. My blood pressure is back to normal.
In addition, I cut food portions down to healthy portions, and eliminated soda (I used to drink Diet Coke every day)

Anyone here speed walk their way to fitness? How long do you go? I wish to god I had done this years ago. I wish I could fig-ure out a way to build the muscle above my waist- the fat is shrinking, but my arms and chest don't get a workout

Last edited by Titanic Explore; 09-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User
Re: I have walked my way to massive weight loss!

Good for you! That is awesome and you should be proud, as it is not an easy thing to do. I'm glad you are taking charge of your life and health. As far as your upper body, you could do push ups or lift dumbells to even out your workout.

Last edited by punkybear; 10-05-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Very impressive! You can hear the glow in your words..

As for the arms, what about using weighted wrist bands that you can use with your walking. That way you still have use of both hands and you can keep that cardio going.

Congrats! Keep it up, and keep posting! Your story is inspirational for many of us struggling with our weight.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
(male)

GymRat HB User

Absolutely brilliant work.
You have done what very few manage to do exceptionally well. You have looked at your goals realistically and long term, the only way to be truly sucessful.
Walking, swimming and fornication have one thing in common, they use all the muscles in the body, so you are already working your upper body.
Weights can be carried to enhance this but I woudl suggest having a hip bag to put them in if needed.
At your weight you are already having to move a lot of mass every time you move so the chances are additional resistance is not required. However your body is used to this weight being in major areas like around your upper arms and less so the further down your arms you go. Adding wrist weights or carrying light dumbells will put pressure in areas you are not used to for such long durations. Initially your wrists, then your elbows to compensate and even your lower back if you start changing the way you move your arms.
This is not saying don't do it, quite the opposite, for short distances this will be great, but as soon as you feel discomfort you will need to be able to put the weights somewhere safe, like a hip bag. Over time you will be able to bring them out of the bag repeatedly, then at some point maybe for the full time, but you are unlikely to be safe trying to do this for the full 4 hours straight away.

Weight training would be good for you in a few ways. muscle burns energy even at rest so it would aid your fat loss, and most of the work you are doing will be building your legs as they are supporting your weight.
You are evidently intelligent enough to already know this but take it steady at first and increase gradually with this style of training. I wouldn't normally say this but at first don't bother training your legs on resistance work, you are doing really well on the walking and the last thing you need is to do something that makes this difficult. Over time you will be able to encorporate this into your regime.

Well done again!

Closed Thread