It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Alangrint HB User
Angry 30 pounds underweight what to do?

Im 19, male 6feet tall weigh 130 lbs. I have tried it all to gain weight with no results. I recently started getting into lifting weight around may and am yet to see any results. My stomach is very very thin. What am i supposed to do to get that square stomach look? I look so thin its horrible. I have a fast metabolism and thats my problem. Everytime I do manage to gain a bit of weight it goes straight to my stomach and I end up looking even worse. Skinny body big belly. What can i do to bulk up? Please get back at me

Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

demetri66 HB User
Re: 30 pounds underweight what to do?

Dont be discouraged, Alan.

I was just like you as a teen. My son is too. A real beanpole like his dad.
You should keep up with exercising and training. Its benefits will lead to a long and healthy life.

Now, what are you doing for yourself by way of nutrition? You should be taking in 1.5grams of protein per pound of body weight. That will help you pack on some muscle.

Get over to a good vitamin store and get some protein powder to get started. You dont care about calories, just go for protein value. Dymatize makes a mass builder. My son used it and it worked. It takes getting used to because its like drinking cake batter, but you get 2000 calories from a serving!

Next get Creatine. Its a muscle volumizer. Very important for muscle building.

Thats enough for a start.

Go to a gym if possible and get some time with a trainer to get a routine started, and learn good form, its easy to hurt yourself.

Youll improve the way you look, but set realistic goals for yourself. You probably already noticed you are built differently from the next guy. It took me 46 years and numerous torn tendons and cartilage to learn that.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-21-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
(male)

GymRat HB User
Re: 30 pounds underweight what to do?

Diet is definately key. Be aware there are a lot of diet myths out there and the one I am about to mention will make me very unpopular.
High protein for muscle gain. This works from the basis that muscle is made from protein, but it isn't. Muscle is over 90% water and the same thing happens to a lot of the excess protein that you take in as excess water, it comes out in your urine. The excess proteins that can be are converted to lipoporteins, fat in plain language, so the additional weight gained is gener***y fat not muscle.
We do need protein in our diet and the more exercise we do the more we need to deal with repair, growth and a range of other thing exercise demands from us. However proportionately we need virtu***y the same amount of proteins as a couch potato, because we are burning far more energy so need to ensure this is replaced and available when we need it.
You will get the grams per kilo of bodyweight quotes which are wildly inaccurate exerts from Weider magazines decades ago. Protein is needed for repair and growth. A marathon runner will cause far more damage to his muscles during his daily workout than an equivilant sized body builder, so will need more protein per kilo to make these repairs than a body builder.
One thing against protein for growth in general amino acids are what the body uses to guage satiety, so eating large volumes of them mean you always feel full.

Good diet for growth.
Basic***y eat balanced and constantly. I don't know what you do for a living but I am desk based to am able to have a large tub of food beside me and keep shovelling it in throughout the day.
There is no real number of meals per day, I just eat pretty much whenever I can. Basic***y I have to be awake and not too close to the start of training, suggestions for how to eat while asleep are welcomed.
Do a google search for the food pyramid. If your diet fits this you will be fine, if you need to increase weight increase your intake of *** the food groups in balance.

Training for gain.
Genetic***y I am pathetic***y scrawny, very good for distance running but not so good for building muscle. However this can still be acheived by keeping to some basic rules when setting up your programs.
Rep range for optimum growth is between 10 and 6, and 6 should be infrequent.
***ow time for recovery. Your body will prioritise repair over growth, because it has to. Doing a chest workout on day one which will be using your tricep as prime mover most of the time then arms on day 2 will mean very little gain. Keeping disciplined not to train body parts that haven't recovered is one of the hardest things to do for those anxious to train and gain.
Hit it hard, hit it fast, leave it alone. Don't spend a full hour doing 10 arm exercises or similar. Look at the most effective way to hit the body parts you want in a sm*** number of exercises, do them, then cool down and leave.
Change your routine, routinely. Don't do a different workout every week but don't do the same thing for a year solid either. For most the best balance is to change every 6 to 8 weeks, this is tot***y personal, I can't tell you what is best for you. Change can simply be going from 3 sets of 10 to a 10, 8, 6 routine, or a change of exercises or indeed both. But you need to change to maintain overload on your body, which is essential to any type of progress.

Closed Thread