It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
(male)

joshb12 HB User
Working out 2 days a week, need help with a routine

I've gotten very busy lately, and going to school and working really takes a lot of my time. Each week I'm not sure how much free time I'll have whether it be 2 or 3 days.

With that being said, I'd like to find a workout program I can do for 2 days a week that I can committ to.
I've searched some online, and I haven't found an awful lot, so I was going to come on here and ask some of you folks. I know some of you on here are like me and can only do 2 good days of weights each week.

I'm just looking for help on a routine. My goals are mostly to tone and slightly build. I'm not looking to build a lot of mass. Mostly just enough for the common "beach body" term for a male.

Thank you folks for the help!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
(male)

flyingabove HB User
Re: Working out 2 days a week, need help with a routine

If I was stuck to 2 days training a week I'd go for a full body workout on both days, with 2 or 3 days rest between each workout.

Doing full body workouts promotes good testosterone surges as all your muscles get worked on the same day. Getting plenty of rest between each workout will ensure you have had plenty of recovery time.

Stay away from crappy machines and use free weights (dumbell bench presses, side shoulder raises, squats, skull crushers) and perform body weight exercises (chinups, pushups, pullups, lunges)

Peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
(male)

GymRat HB User

To get real benefits working out in limited time twice a week you need to be looking at compound exercises with sensible warm up and long cool down to keep the tone you want.
For the pretty beach look rep ranges need to be either 3 x 10, 3 x 8 or 10, 8, 6
Higher rep ranges will not activate the slow twitchers enough, lower is more functional power less aesthetic.
Example is below, obviously change this based on limitations of equipment. Be warned this is not a beginners workout, it assumes you are reducing days not starting from scratch.
Warm up 5 minutes aerobic activity, running, rowing cycling etc.
Basic reach stretches for mobility, reaching up and back (carefully), up and to either side, forward and down. Each are only 5 seconds, and you need to focus to ensure as much of your body is engaged by these stretches.
Deadlifts
Affects legs, back, arms, shoulders, neck, core
High pulls - lifting from the floor to under your chin while standing up with elbows staying above the bar and coming onto toes as you lift.
Affects legs, back, arms, shoulders, neck, core, chest
Squats
Affects legs, back, core
Bench Press
Affects arms, chest, shoulders
Standing shoulder press (soft knees)
Affects arms, shoulders, chest, core

Most looking for the beach body will not be happy without som arm curls, they will not be needed after this but if you want to add them go for standing alternate dumbell curls twisting from palms facin your legs to facing your shoulder at the top and back on the way down.

Cool down 20 minutes aerobic activity. Only training twice a week will mean you need this to keep your body able to function at a decent intensity.
Stretches I will leave you to find out as they are hell on earth to describe in type. You will have worked everything and unless you want to be immobile the rest of the week you will need to stretch everything well using static, non-ballistic, stretches.

Enjoy.

If this is pitched too high let me know and I will scale it down. To do so I will need to know where you are now fitness wise.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
(male)

nick779 HB User

With my work schedule taking up most of my week (mon-sat), I get absolutely no time to hit the gym and even get toned.. What i have been doing since half a year now is the most simple home workout ever. Just basic push ups and crunches schedule. However, i do it regularly and consistently, and gradually increase the level of my workouts coupled with sports on the weekend. I find myself healthy and fit to the perfect amount and am very happy.
About the male 'beach body' stage, almost there

The Following User Says Thank You to nick779 For This Useful Post:
joshb12 (10-29-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

BusyFamFitness HB User

Hey Joshb12

I would really try to do shorter workouts 5-6 days a week. 10 Minute Trainer with Tony Horton is GREAT. It is five 10 Minute Workouts that can be done at home. You can wake up 15-20 minutes earlier each day or go to bed a few minutes later and get in a great short workout. Best thing is if you have more time you can stack the workouts. It will get your blood moving, boost your energy and keep you on track while you have this busy schedule. It will also save you some money as you don't have to go to the gym or buy any weights. It comes with a resistance band and it gives you Cardio, Lower Body, Total Body, Yoga, and a killer Ab workout.

Hope that is helpful! All you have to do is push play every day!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb12 View Post
I've gotten very busy lately, and going to school and working really takes a lot of my time. Each week I'm not sure how much free time I'll have whether it be 2 or 3 days.

With that being said, I'd like to find a workout program I can do for 2 days a week that I can committ to.
I've searched some online, and I haven't found an awful lot, so I was going to come on here and ask some of you folks. I know some of you on here are like me and can only do 2 good days of weights each week.

I'm just looking for help on a routine. My goals are mostly to tone and slightly build. I'm not looking to build a lot of mass. Mostly just enough for the common "beach body" term for a male.

Thank you folks for the help!

Closed Thread