It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

PsychedChicken HB User
Question Newbie with a lot of recent weight gain

I am 23 and up until a year ago was skinny and fit my whole life.

Ive always had great metabolism, and in school I was into some sports and just generally fairly active. Therefore I ate whatever I wanted with no ill effects.
Even after school when I got married and my lifestyle settled down I still managed to stay pretty trim. I was fairly strong and my only fat was in the right places.

Last October I shattered my knee cap. I was flat on my *** for a month and it killed my metabolism. Once I made it through physical therapy and was getting around I started packing on weight. I went from 120 to almost 170 in less than 6 months due to lack of being able to do the activities I loved. Its been holding pretty steady there.

Now I'm fed up with being fat and need to get back in shape. I need guidance. I have been eating better. Not great, but better. Snacking on yogurt and fruit instead of chips, etc. Trying to keep my meals somewhat healthy. However thats hard when my husband could live on pizza and beer.

I just signed up with a gym membership right down the road from where I work and am planning to start tomorrow and go before work regularly.

I'm planning on doing 30 of strength training (squats, dead-lifts, working multiple muscle groups), then 30 minutes of cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I know it will probably be much less at the beginning, but thats the goal,
Then on Tuesday and Thursday I'll swim laps in the pool.

Does this sound like it will help me slim back down?? Any pointers? I need all the advice, tips and encouragement that yall are willing to send my way.

Sidenote: I sit at a desk all day at work.
I was keeping trim before by going to the rock gym a couple times a week (excellent full body work out). But my knee is not quiet strong enough for all of that yet.

Also, I went to the gym this morning for the first time ever. I made a point not to over do it so that I wouldnt feel like death tomorrow and get burnt out. I have to admit I feel GREAT. Better than I do most mornings. So hopefully I can keep with this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User
Re: Newbie with a lot of recent weight gain

I've never lost weight through exercise, myself. Only by cutting calories. When I work out, I usually only burn about 300 calories though (on the treadmill).

I'm a 50 year old vegan woman and it is super easy for me to stay slim. I'm 5'7" and my weight fluctuates from 120 to 126 or so and for the past year, I have been very lax about exercise and I am definitely too soft, but I didn't gain any weight or go up in pant size (I wear an 8) and weigh the same that I did when I was 18. Don't look the same in a bikini though!

I eat a HUGE salad of organic greens everyday for dinner. I make an almost zero fat, zero calorie, vinegar-based dressing, but I add a handful of nuts or sunflower seeds, half an avocado, kalamata olives, etc. (It varies a little, but my salads are awesome)
Then, I might have room for a small sandwich, a piece of toast, or a baked sweet potato (very nutritious and filling) but I'm mostly full and since greens are mostly water, I'm mostly full of water.

I'm a fan of adding healthy foods, so that you are too full to eat much of the bad ones, rather than restricting the bad ones when you are hungry and want more.

I have big bags of organic fruit that I bought at Costco and I find that if I have a large, all fruit smoothie with my meal, I cannot eat that much other food, so I have a smoothie everyday too.

ADD good food, so that bad food is (mostly) squeezed out.

This summer, I got down to 119 and so had fun for several days "pigging out" cause I don't really want to be under 125.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
(male)

GymRat HB User

Simple set of equations that are true, but there is a lot more to it than most think. If these are a surprise, I will be shocked.
Calorie intake = calories used = weight stable
Calorie intake > calories used = weight increase
Calorie intake < calories used = weight loss

Now the complications.
Fat is over 3,000 calories a pound, and water is heavy. If you exercise hard one day and lose 3 pounds of weight, it is very unlikely that you will have used 9,000 more calories than you ate. This doesn't mean it's not a good move, what it means is the following day when you put on 2 pounds it's not something to get despondent about, it's just water going back to where you need it.
I have been roughly the same weight give or take 7 pounds for around 2 decades, and I eat approximately 5,000 calories a day. Trust me I don't look like 5,000 calories a day worth, and most of the variation is water, and this can add or take away 10 pounds in a week for me.
Fat is slow burning and requires presence of oxygen to burn. This means true fat burning exercise is monotonous, boring low intensity stuff. However recovery from high intensity training where you were beyond your aerobic limit burns fat. Basically do stuff you enjoy, it may not lose your weight but with sensible diet will lose the excess you don't want.
Muscle is over 90% water and as I covered water is heavy. With this in mind try not to judge your success by the scales, muscle gain will aid fat loss, as it burns energy even at rest. The best measure is the most difficult to use well, the mirror. We all have days were we feel good and look at ourselves as virtual gods, and others where we feel low and see ourselves as monster from the black lagoon. However if an attractive figure is what you want your mirror will tell you if you are getting this far better than the scales.

You are intending to take training steady at the start, which is not easy, well done. Training well can build you the figure you want, the difficult thing can often be deciding what that is.
There are a number of people who don't think to train the whole body, fortunately you aren't one of them.
There are others who fail to take into account their body types. You can go against your genetics but doing so takes a long time and you have to be sure. I am genetically gifted for marathon running, beanpole standard. I decided in my wisdom to train for powerlifting, I am not too bad, but there are others who would achieve in a couple of years what took me 10. If you are designed to carry virtually no weight and that is the look you want, go for it, and you will likely find the activities that lose body fat fastest easy, if you are more designed for a fuller figure, you will likely be stronger and able to build muscle which will burn more fat for you, and suit you better.
Don't be afraid of muscle. There are two main types of body matter under our skin, muscle and fat, if you don't want one you have to accept the other. Most women don't want to look too lean or 'masculine' as it's perceived, if you do go for it, however toned muscle with a 'feminine' fat covering is what most like the look of even when they don't understand it's there, avoids the pancakes at hip level of those who only diet.

The crucial thing for sustained weight loss is realism. If you want the goddess body in a fortnight, you are likely to be in for a disappointment. If you set yourself a realistic target you are more likely to succeed.
Be honest with yourself, we all see people who declare they eat next to nothing, then drink several pints of beer and demolish a kebab 3 nights a week, or binge on sweets when they've 'been good.' Food should be enjoyable, even I try to ensure that and with my intake it's not easy. Find things you like that are sensible, and try to avoid drastic changes.
Find physical activity you enjoy, it helps you stick to it, if you hate it, you are likely to quit.
You decide how you want to be and work toward it. If this changes because you find you love one activity too much, don't worry. Your husband will love you anyway, especially if you are happier in yourself. My wife has watched me change shape, if not weight, because I wanted power and function more than form, but she's still happy with me and there was no way my pathetically slim torso would have been able to stabilise me while squatting what I do now.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

pidgeon92 HB User

I gave up fast food and most processed foods years ago, and that helped a lot back then, but I lost 20 pounds in the last 12 months through exercise alone.

I started out slowly right after Thanksgiving, joining a gym and walking on the treadmill a few days a week. Right after Christmas I started working with a personal trainer for one-hour per week, and he is the one that really pushed me. He told me to start taking classes so I would have a more varied workout instead of just hanging out on the treadmill or the elliptical.

I tried a few classes at that gym, but I hated them. It's a younger crowd there, and the volume of the classes turned me off. I found a small gym a few blocks further away that has very small classes that are more varied, and all of the people who work there are personal trainers. I joined that in March 2012, and I go there 4-5 times a week for at least one-half hour class, and I still meet with my trainer at the other gym for one-hour per week on Saturday.

I've gone from 158 pounds last Thanksgiving to 138 this Thanksgiving. I have a lot better muscle tone, so I've lost more than 20lbs in fat. I still hate exercising, but I'll never give it up now. I've donated almost all of my old clothes, and no longer have high blood pressure.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

BusyFamFitness HB User

Hey there Newbie!

I too was a "newbie" about 2 years ago. I have always been skinny, but after 3 kids found my metabolism slowing down. I had a hard time going to the gym with my kiddos and started working out at home.

Your plan sounds great!!! I suggest working out 5-6 times a week with at least one rest day. 30-60 minutes a day is great. You'll want to do a combination of cardio, resistance training and stretching. However, nutrition is going to be 70% of it and exercise is 30% of it. I recommend eating 5-6 mini meals a day. I usually start my day off with some plain oatmeal with some fresh fruit in it and cinnamon to flavor it up. I'll have a 10 am snack which usually consists of fruit or some nuts. For lunch I take an all natural health/protein shake. Snack around 3 again and a sensible dinner around 6:30. Lean proteins, veggies and very little carbs.

Also, for those that work at desks all day, be sure to get up and move around on your breaks. There are 10 minute workouts that you can easily do at the office to help. Let me know if you would like some ideas for that and I can give you some or you could probably google some too.

Hope this all helps and CONGRATS on committing to your health and fitness. That is the biggest step!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychedChicken View Post
I am 23 and up until a year ago was skinny and fit my whole life.

Ive always had great metabolism, and in school I was into some sports and just generally fairly active. Therefore I ate whatever I wanted with no ill effects.
Even after school when I got married and my lifestyle settled down I still managed to stay pretty trim. I was fairly strong and my only fat was in the right places.

Last October I shattered my knee cap. I was flat on my *** for a month and it killed my metabolism. Once I made it through physical therapy and was getting around I started packing on weight. I went from 120 to almost 170 in less than 6 months due to lack of being able to do the activities I loved. Its been holding pretty steady there.

Now I'm fed up with being fat and need to get back in shape. I need guidance. I have been eating better. Not great, but better. Snacking on yogurt and fruit instead of chips, etc. Trying to keep my meals somewhat healthy. However thats hard when my husband could live on pizza and beer.

I just signed up with a gym membership right down the road from where I work and am planning to start tomorrow and go before work regularly.

I'm planning on doing 30 of strength training (squats, dead-lifts, working multiple muscle groups), then 30 minutes of cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I know it will probably be much less at the beginning, but thats the goal,
Then on Tuesday and Thursday I'll swim laps in the pool.

Does this sound like it will help me slim back down?? Any pointers? I need all the advice, tips and encouragement that yall are willing to send my way.

Sidenote: I sit at a desk all day at work.
I was keeping trim before by going to the rock gym a couple times a week (excellent full body work out). But my knee is not quiet strong enough for all of that yet.

Also, I went to the gym this morning for the first time ever. I made a point not to over do it so that I wouldnt feel like death tomorrow and get burnt out. I have to admit I feel GREAT. Better than I do most mornings. So hopefully I can keep with this!

Closed Thread