It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
(female)

Natalia86 HB User
Health issues after too much exercise?

Hi everyone!

Been reading other peoples posts on these forums and it looks like a great place to get answers/support.

Basically, for the last 2 months or so now, I've been suffering from what I can only describe as pretty bad anxiety, sleeping problems, irritability, palpitations, panic attacks etc etc. I'm a 26 yr old female, in good health normally.

Some background info on myself, I work 9-6 as a web developer, stressfull but I wouldnt say too much so.

About 2 years ago I thought it was time to try and get in shape, so I joined my local gym and since then pretty much have been going 3/4 times a week and felt great!

About 6 months ago, I decided to crank it up a notch and tried this program called P90X, for those that don't know its an extreme home fitness program which works of 5/6 workouts a week..a day rest...and then repeats.
It carries on like this for 3 months, and while now I look back and think it was a ridiculous amount of exercise, it certianly did put me in the best physical shape of my life.

Now here comes the problem, I did a second round of P90X, and thats when the health issues started to arise.

Aside from the exercise, I do freelance work when I can, and also am working part time at OU studying for an astronomy degree. So it's fair to say I was pretty much burning the candle at both ends for months!

So basically...2 months back...all these anxiety issues started cropping up.
The MAIN problem being and this is how the whole thing began, I fall asleep, wake up about an hour later i.e. 1:30am ish, completely wide awake and alert, and then for the life of me cannot get back to sleep till about 4am. Over a few days this really started to take its toll at work, anxiety got worse due to lack of sleep, dizzy spells etc, but I took that mostly to be from sleep deprivation.

Eventually I decided to cut out the exercise, and really take it easy. No freelance work, green teas, stopping any studying/computer usage after 9pm etc.

Slowly but surely, my sleep pattern did seem to return to some sort of normality. Thinking I'd learned my lesson, I decided to try and SLOWLy get back into a healthy exercise regime of 2/3 times a week. (NEVER going back to 6 days a week...but do want to keep fit)

So I headed to the gym, did 15 mins if HIIT treadmill, and some leg work.

That same night, even though I hit the gym at 9am in the morning...bamn! Same thing again, woke up really alert, could not sleep.

This exact issue has happened 3 times now...where I workout early in the morning, then cannot sleep at night. So I feel it in my gut i know its somehow related to high intensity cardio work.

I know this is a long post, but wanted to give as much information as I could.
I've had my blood tested for Iron, blood count, liver, T4, T3, glucose levels, and a few other things....doctor said im fine...perfectly healthy.

But you know what I just know there is something off, not saying anything serious, but I know my body well enough to know that I am deficient in SOMETHING and it is having obvious consequences.

I have cut out exercise completely for now, but I really dont want to do that either.

I'd like to add I visited a herbal doctor (if you believe in that stuff, I do) and he told me my hormones we're all over the place and I had hyperthyroidism. This did not show up on blood tests, but, the symptoms seemed to reflect my own! Is it possible for hyperthyroidism to be missed in tests??

I really appreciate any advice anyone can give...ideas on what it could be..supplements etc etc.

Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
(male)

GymRat HB User
Re: Health issues after too much exercise?

Simplest solution I would give initially is to go back to the activity level you were doing before the P90X routine, basically when you were sleeping fine.
I know the P90X, comes with diet etc. too, one that is fine for short term but not very well balanced overall.
I would say try some form of long duration activity that relaxes you late in the day, this could be a gentle jog or a yoga DVD if you are more of a calm to relax person, or a serious weights or punchbag blast if you need to work off aggression. Follow this up with some long stretches, min 20 seconds each, especially in your back and neck, to leave your body relaxed.
We all have pressures and used well exercise can be a way to help relieve them.
One thing that effects different people in various ways is the time you train. I find I sleep better by training at high intensity later in the day, but am more invigorated if doing something cardio based early. This is not always the case, today I have been yawning a lot even after cycling in.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Health issues after too much exercise?

You may be hitting your REM sleep or deep sleep too early. I do high intensity stairmaster workout about two and a half hours a day in the early morning and basically pass out about ten at night and will wake up two hours later like you. If you are doing the P90X workout then you must get adequate sleep and if you don't you leave yourself open to a host of problems anxiety being one of them. I found that Ateril an all natural sleep agent helps me sleep through the nite and I have had no side effects. It consists of three ingredients...melatonin, L triptophane and valerian root. They sell it at at drug stores everywhere or over the web. It lets your charged up system sleep naturally through the nite. I can not guarantee it , just that it works for me. Hope this helps

Closed Thread