It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

softball_stace HB User
activity level moderate or vigorous?

I'm trying to figure out if my activity level is considered moderate or vigorous? Generally I run about a 8.5 to 9 minute mile for 60 minutes or else do the elliptical for 60-70 minutes. Any input?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: activity level moderate or vigorous?

Hi, your running is moderate as a 6.5 minute mile is rigorous..Don't know what kind of resistance you set the elliptical at so it is difficult to determine what intensity level you are doing......lenvegas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
(male)

GymRat HB User

There is no set speed that denotes intensity. I run now at a pace I would have been ashamed of when running was my core activity, because I am a lot heavier. The intensity is the same, heart rate around age related max for full 5 miles, as before, but I am slower.
Intensity is personal, it can be measured comparing your heart rate to age and resting pulse rate, then factoring in fitness level through VO2 max and a whole host of other stuff.
Or you can use perceived intensity level. Basically how it feels to you. If you feel ready to die and can only keep an activity up for a few seconds or a minute, thats very high, even if the activity is only climbing the stairs.
If you are comfortable but working at a level where you can really feel it, that's moderate.
If you are able to have a nice chat, do some knitting and flip pancakes, like Mo Farah would doing a training run with me practiacally dying, thats low intensity.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
(male)

GymRat HB User

There is no set speed that denotes intensity. I run now at a pace I would have been ashamed of when running was my core activity, because I am a lot heavier. The intensity is the same, heart rate around age related max for full 5 miles, as before, but I am slower.
Intensity is personal, it can be measured comparing your heart rate to age and resting pulse rate, then factoring in fitness level through VO2 max and a whole host of other stuff.
Or you can use perceived intensity level. Basically how it feels to you. If you feel ready to die and can only keep an activity up for a few seconds or a minute, thats very high, even if the activity is only climbing the stairs.
If you are comfortable but working at a level where you can really feel it, that's moderate.
If you are able to have a nice chat, do some knitting and flip pancakes, like Mo Farah would doing a training run with me practiacally dying, thats low intensity.

Closed Thread