It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
(female)

woeisme HB User
Walking and weight loss?

Hi there, I am hypothyroid, which means I have an underactive thyroid which messes up my metabolic rate.

I'm on medication now but still struggle to lose the weight I gained.

I've just started walking again twice a day, 30mins each time at a very fast pace, I've been doing this for about a week but wondered what you think about speed walking for weight loss?

I used to walk for an hour every day before my illness and stayed at a good weight, so hopefully walking should do the trick again, just wondering what your thoughts are about walking and weight loss. How soon before I see any results???

Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Walking and weight loss?

Hi woeisme....great name. Walking at a fast pace of 3.5 miles an hour will burn 240 calories. Race walkers move at 4.5 miles per hour and burn 480 calories. One pound of weight is 3000 calories so you can do the math. It is important you increase your intensity from time to time because the body builds a tolerance to the same old walk. For instance walk and alternate jogging until down the road you can jog most of the way. The higher your intensity the higher the metabolic spike and the more weight you lose.....no hurry, just make slow steady progress..If you have access to a treadmill you can adjust the floor on an incline to simulate walking up a hill and get the heart beating faster. Yoga would an excellent way to stimulate your thyroid. There a several poses like the shoulder stand(very easy) that stimulate the thyroid. and it also great for relaxing and strengthening the muscles and tendons.. Of course eat well...Me I eat six small meals a day and have no sugar or substitute sugar and no hamburgers with fries(chips). Hope this helps......lenvegas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
(female)

woeisme HB User

Brilliant thanks for all your advice, I'm going to try mixing things up a bit by walking and running at intervals so that my body doesn't get too used to walking. Will look into Yoga - although I've heard that it can be quite hard!! Many thanks.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woeisme View Post
Hi there, I am hypothyroid, which means I have an underactive thyroid which messes up my metabolic rate.

I'm on medication now but still struggle to lose the weight I gained.

I've just started walking again twice a day, 30mins each time at a very fast pace, I've been doing this for about a week but wondered what you think about speed walking for weight loss?

I used to walk for an hour every day before my illness and stayed at a good weight, so hopefully walking should do the trick again, just wondering what your thoughts are about walking and weight loss. How soon before I see any results???
Walking is a great way to lose weight!! Plus, you don't put as much pressure on the joints as with running or even jogging...not the same impact.

Dh lost 20 lbs in about 2 months walking nightly with me..it was about a 30-40 min. brisk walk. We had a fairly steep, but gradual, incline coming back.
I suggest finding trails with inclines (hills) on your walk, try various terrains such as nature trails.
Walking barefoot in the sand is really great and theraputic, really engages the muscles.

It's hard to say when you would start noticing results, as that all depends on your metabolism. My dh started noticing results within 2-3 wks I would say.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Closed Thread