It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Higher weight, lower reps vs. Lower weight, higher reps

Hi,

I'm looking for a little more definition but not too much. I already have a little definition and I can build muscle easily....I have that type of body.

Is it better to lift a lower amt. of weight and higher reps or a higher amt. of weight with lower reps.?
Is there a difference?

TIA.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Higher weight, lower reps vs. Lower weight, higher reps

Hi, That's a great question and I will do the best I can to answer it. The muscle response to doing 10 reps of a heavier weight and 30 reps of a lighter weight is the same providing it is done in under 90 seconds to muscle exhaustion. You have slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. Heavier weights will build new fast twitch muscle growth but will actually make you leaner because the more new muscle the higher your metabolism is to maintain it. I would recommend doing both light and heavy weights. You know the weight is too light if you can continue the reps after 90 seconds as your goal whether heavy or light weights is muscle exhaustion in under 90 seconds for each set. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenvegas View Post
Hi, That's a great question and I will do the best I can to answer it. The muscle response to doing 10 reps of a heavier weight and 30 reps of a lighter weight is the same providing it is done in under 90 seconds to muscle exhaustion. You have slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. Heavier weights will build new fast twitch muscle growth but will actually make you leaner because the more new muscle the higher your metabolism is to maintain it. I would recommend doing both light and heavy weights. You know the weight is too light if you can continue the reps after 90 seconds as your goal whether heavy or light weights is muscle exhaustion in under 90 seconds for each set. Hope this helps.
Great, thank-you!
I have a lean body type and would like to stick with that plus definition, not too bulky and muscular looking for a woman...

I am no longer at a gym but workout at home but do remember the trainer at the gym saying that I shouldn't be able to do more than about 12-13 reps without feeling the burn in my muscles, otherwise move to a higher weight.

I will keep in mind the muscle exhaustion in under 90 sec/set. I have a timer at home so will use that as a guide until I figure out the right weight amt. and rep. amt.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User

Typically lifting heavy is almost always best. Lifting light weights really does nothing for the most part. It helps with the cardio part but not the muscles. My personal advice is to go heavy and really get a workout. There are lots of good books out on the subject. You might want to invest in a couple.

High BP/PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Cozaar 25mg daily
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There can be a lot of success with low weights done very, very slowly and for only about a 20 minute workout. My sister does such a workout with a trainer and I'm impressed with her results.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil147 View Post
I am no more at a gym but exercise at house but do keep in mind the instructor at the gym saying that I should not be able to do more than about 12-13 repetitions without sensation the get rid of in my muscle tissue....
I'm in the same situation...was at a gym last year, but am no longer there and workout at home.

My trainer told me the same thing. She basically said if I could easily do 12-13reps, move to a higher weight.
If I had muscle exhaustion by the 12th rep, I was at a good weight.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There can be a lot of success with low weights done very, very slowly and for only about a 20 minute workout. My sister does such a workout with a trainer and I'm impressed with her results.
I have also heard about this type of workout being very successful (slowed right down). You really feel it in your muscles when you slow the movements down.

I have now begun to switch up my weights and reps to "challenge" my muscles. I'm also thinking of new ways to exercise certain groups of muscles.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Reply Reply