It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
(male)

DayDreamer06 HB User
How to recover from 'yo-yo' cycles and lose weight again?

Hello everyone,
I have had a tenuous relationship with exercise throughout my life. I find that I am generally either very active and intense about it, sometimes to the point of obsession, where I work out intensively for two hours every day and count the calories on a can of tuna, to the extreme opposite, where I end up eating an entire bag of chips and a pizza, drinking 4 or 5 beers several times a week and not hitting the gym for weeks. It is very frustrating, of course, and I am on the 'eating' phase right now. Between November and late January I trained very hard, and dropped some 10 pounds, right in time for a beach vacation. Unfortunately, after coming back I continued the poor habits of eating from there and began to eat way too much. I have regained a good portion of those pounds back, and needless to say feel terrible about it. For me it is also mental, as I have issues with depression and anxiety and the exercise both helps calm it down, while the over-indulging feeds the negativity.

Fortunately, I feel as though my body has had enough too and my cravings have greatly diminished. Over the past few days I find myself less hungry, and desiring healthier food. And I will soon return full-time to the gym, and hope to find that intensity again. I was feeling terrible about this but just need to forget it and move on?

I have a goal of losing as much weight as possible in the next 5 months. This deadline is significant to me as at that time I will be entering a new phase in my life, moving to a new city and to a new position with high prestige and social interaction, as opposed to a fairly monotonous last few years. I want to go there as trim as possible. Currently I hover around 208-210 lbs - I'm a 5'11 male. At my lowest weight ever, I was close to 170, and I want to try to achieve it again. I have the body type that I can be fit and muscular, but need to work hard at it; once it's achieved, my metabolism improves and I can maintain the shape as long as I stay active.

I would like to inquire what the best routine would be for me: cardio, weights or both? When I was doing the two months of intense cardio it seemed to have the best results; about a year ago I had another phase of intense activity, where I mainly focused on weight lifting. I reduced fat but overall my weight remained the same. And the time when I was at my absolute best I did both, but I was very determined then and spent hours in the gym, every single day. Thank you for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

AnxiousAsian HB User
Re: How to recover from 'yo-yo' cycles and lose weight again?

I'm sorry this reply won't be much help but just wanted to say its crazy but I have the exact same problem with weight loss/gain and I also have problems with anxiety and depression. I have such intense periods where I do nothing but exercise and count calories and then the exact opposite where I barely move. Just wonder what the link may be between this habit and the anxiety/depression??

Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: How to recover from 'yo-yo' cycles and lose weight again?

Hi, well cardio is king, it has an overall slimming effect and exposes your muscles while weight training will build those muscles. 1 1/2 hours of cardio and 1 hour of weights daily will give you the results you want. Hopefully you will get addicted to this routine and keep it as a permanent part of your lifestyle. If you do a routine like this then you should treat yourself have some pizza and beer a few times a week or you will rebel from a spartan lifestyle and defeat yourself by going on binges. Me, I do 2 1/2 hours of intense cardio on the stair stepper 1 hour of weight traing and 1/2 hour of yoga 7 days a week. I treat myself with a pint of ice cream everyday and drink beer twice a week and it really makes no difference in my weight because I burn 3000 calories a day working out. So, work hard , play hard and be good to yourself and you can achieve great things!.........

Closed Thread