It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Red face What exercises could I do with a T 12 compression fracture?

I know that I could use my elliptical, however, I asked one doctor about pilates and another one...one said it's ok and the other said no. I miss my step aerobics and using weights. Is a stretch band ok to use? These doctors do not seem to know what they are doing when it comes to what I can and cannot do... What about sit ups. I gained weight from being on anti depressants after a major nervous breakdown and I don't like to take meds. I was 135 at 5ft6.5 and now I'm 170! I was never that heavy. I weigh more than I did post pregnancy 10 years ago. I was 155. I used to lift weights, now I'm afraid to do anything but the elliptical. I barely eat, although I don't exercise as much but when I studied in nursing school I never exercised and went up to 140. Although when I was doing my pre-reqs and after nursing school, I was an avid fitness guru. Anyone else here gained weight from Zoloft..and any suggestions on how to gain muscle with this T 12 compression fracture?? I know muscle is key in losing weight and eating clean, which I do.

Last edited by Jess75; 05-15-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: What exercises could I do with a T 12 compression fracture?

Hi Jess, yes muscle is the key to losing weight but the muscle you must exercise now is your heart. Doing cardio and getting your heart rate fast enough to reach your target heart rate through entering the fat burning zone is the key to burning calories both during and after your cardio routine. You should work your way into doing cardio between 60 and 90 minutes per day. You will benefit by attaining an overall slimming effect and for now it is really all you need to do because your goal should be to lose weight and get off the Zoloft. If you are 40 years old you need to get your heart rate uo to 130 beats per minute for at least 40 minutes to get the after burn effect which means you will keep burning calories hours after you are finished. The formula to reach the fat burning zone is 220 minus age X .7 which will put you in the middle of the zone. You should buy a heart rate monitor worn like a watch will give you your heart rate in real time..You may have to push up the resistance on your elliptical to reach your target heart rate.You will lose weight fast and after you have reached you weight loss goals you could incorporate some weight training. I have been enjoying the cardio lifestyle since 1987, actually I only enjoy it when I am done but still I am in invincible shape and never have a sad day. Yes antidepressants slow your metabolism and cause weight gain so we want to get rid of them and substitute them with your own beta endorphins aka your brains natural happy juice.I know you know all of this stuff so I hope you can make this commitment to get in shape and have a happy life. All the best........lenvegas

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
Jess75 (05-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your absolutely right, I'm just afraid of lifting because of my injury...I thought there may be a way around it. Thanks...that's really motivating. I have an elliptical and I'm allowed to use it...I will push for an hour today. I've been doing 30-40 minutes. I just started using a resistant band to help develop muscle. Thanks. I'm just at a loss at what I can and cannot do, one doc says this and one says that. I was thinking maybe there's someone in my shoes.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your absolutely right, I'm just afraid of lifting because of my injury...I thought there may be a way around it. Thanks...that's really motivating. I have an elliptical and I'm allowed to use it...I will push for an hour today. I've been doing 30-40 minutes. I just started using a resistant band to help develop muscle. Thanks. I'm just at a loss at what I can and cannot do, one doc says this and one says that. I was thinking maybe there's someone in my shoes. Btw, I'm 37...close though.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

I would think the resistance bands would be OK but maybe wear a back support weight belt if you do weight training. Doctors can be on the side of caution because they do not want to be liable. Do you run the risk of doing serious damage to your back if you pull it the wrong way?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's an option I can speak to my doctor about that...I'm opting for kyphoplasty...
Thank you.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's an option I can speak to my doctor about that...I'm opting for kyphoplasty...
Thank you.

Closed Thread