It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
(female)

Bethybabe HB User
Red face Long post, sorry, but I'm just starting out... Help?

Here comes a long rant followed by questions, I hope to get some sort of help.

In early August I will move out of my parents house for the first time in my life and into an apartment style dorm. I will have 3 other female room mates that I have yet to meet, and the availability of a 24 hour gym, with trainers and I will have a meal plan through my college (giant salad bar and various meal stations (sushi, fish, steak, breakfast, sandwich)). All this said, for the past 18 years aside from doing sports through the schooli have t ever paid attention to my body. I ate whatever was served at home or wherever I was taken to eat and if my coach said to do more laps in the pool I did, or my guard instructor said fun an extra mile I would. I am not fat; one thing I was taught at home was portion control. If I saw I had more of a belly than I liked I cutback. This year I was less active than I would have liked to have been and so, I began putting on some weight. I jumped from 125 to 158 in a year. And immediately after seeing pictures for christmas cut back and thoughimno longer at my smallest i am happy to say i am no where near the 160 mark. I don't want to have to constantly struggle on the edge of being fat so today, I decided its time for a change. When i move into my new home (and throughout the summer as much as possible) I would like to begin a life style change. I am 100% willing do do this, I just need to know where to begin. I have no familiarity with a gym and I don't just want to loose weight, I want to be strong. I'm ready for my body to change but not just to look good but I want to feel good too.
I don't know where to begin on what to eat. I have read so many "DO this DON'T do that", Diet plans I don't even begin to guess at a number. I am not a big meat fan. I was a vegetarian for a year before my mother decided that it just wasn't economic for us to have two types of meals in one home (which makes sense), but I am willing do do WHATEVER to do a full body transformation over the course of my freshman year of college. HELP!What can I do to take on this massive challenge I've issued myself? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

sixspotdinosaur HB User
Re: Long post, sorry, but I'm just starting out... Help?

Well, personally I would avoid bad carbs and eating protein and vegetables.

Exercise-wise - I would aim for between 30 - 60 mins of cardio at least three times a week, plus a minimum of 1 -2 hours strength and flexibility work, but if there are trainers at the gym they should hopefully be able to advise you on an exercise plan that will work for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-27-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
(female)

brokenweed HB User

Start working with a good diet for the rest of your life. Stay away from processed foods. Learn to cook fresh veggies and a variety of whole grains. It is so easy in college to go out a lot and eat fast food or stuff from the freezer section. Since you have roommates, they may appreciate having a cook in the house. A vegetarian or vegan lifestyle can be very good for weight maintenance and fitness, but stay away from the fake meats and cheeses they are just processed foods. just make sure that beans, nuts and brown rice are a part of your diet.

As for exercise, see if there is a trainer at your gym. If you can't afford personal trainer, many trainers will meet with you once to set up program that you do on your own then you can follow up every couple of months. Also, look around the gym for people whose fitness levels you aspire to. Ask what they do or don't do.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, if you want a full body transformation do one hour of cardio be it the treadmill, stair stepper or stationary bike (stair stepper for faster results) Then at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of strength training. 7 days a week if you want to become a warrior princess. Diet, well this is not my area of expertise, just avoid anything bad.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

Have somebody knowledgeable walk you through the machines and weights because the first concern is SAFETY.
You'll get the hang of it fast.

Beware the "freshman 40."

Closed Thread

Tags
diet, fitness, workout